Callaway @ 24 Hours of Lemons

A discussion Forum for all other Callaway Vehicles and Projects, including the Callaway SportTrucks and SUVs, Callaway Camaros, and Cadillac CTS-V Series Automobiles, plus historic VW, Mercedes, Porsche, Alfa Romeo and many more including the Callaway Bump-Up Kits
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Callaway @ 24 Hours of Lemons

Post by Luigi »

Every once in a while something so ingenious, daring, and some say even crazy comes along :bulb

One of these such events is the 24 Hours of Lemons. That's right, not LeMans, but Lemons. Its a serious spoof on the endurance event. Regular weekend racers, crappy cars (cars worth more than $500 less safety equipment and tires are penalized if not crushed), going for a 24 hour endurance race. A mental picture the Coyote chasing Bugs Bunny comes to mind. And it happens every month in a different city near you.

This month... its in Florida @ PBIR. The Theme... of course Cuba del Norte :beer (which did not go over well with the local Cuban community when Che Gevarra was selected to be the mascot).
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/usercont ... redweb.jpg

And a local Team (2 forum members), the "Miami Vice Grips" have entered with an ex-Calaway BMW 381i turbo. :help The prize, $1500 in nickels.

If you're in town, come over, amuse yourself, and cheer them on. The race beings at midnight Dec 31st and ends at the drop of the bell of the New Year!

Wish Them well. :help (pics below)

-Luigi
:cool

GENERAL

Race Weekend: 31 December 2010

Entry Deadline: 23 October 2010

Late Entries: Considered case-by-case, space permitting

Track: Palm Beach International Raceway, Jupiter FL

SPECTATORS

Full weekend passes are available at the gate for $25.

SCHEDULE

Pre-Race Track Testing: 9am-5pm Thursday Dec 30th. $100 per driver, register with the track Thursday morning.

Thursday, 30 December 2010

8am: Gates Open

12pm (noon) - 6pm: Mandatory Tech inspection. Every car and at least one driver per team must be present for Tech Inspection on Thursday.

10:45pm Mandatory Driver's Meeting

11:45pm Cars enter track for transponder checks

Friday, 31 December 2010

12am: Start

12pm: People's Curse

Saturday, 1 January 2011

12am: Checkered Flag

12:30am: Awards and New Year's Celebration

THE CARS

Lights: This is a night race on an unlit track. Each team must provide its own illumination. While good-quality, properly aimed OE headlight systems are generally up to this task, aftermarket driving and/or foglights are also legal. DON'T OVERTHINK IT: A small number of high-quality, properly mounted, correctly aimed headlights or driving lights is much more effective than a large number of crappy add-ons, or overpowered projector lights, or fancy-pants spotlights.

• During daylight hours, forward lights may be removed if desired.

• Lights, mounts, and associated switches and wires are considered safety items and do NOT count toward the $500 build total.

• From dusk to dawn, all cars must have at least two working headlights, one working taillight, and one working brake light. Multi-filament combination tail/brake lights are acceptable.

• The center of all lights must be no higher than 6 inches above the car's hoodline; roof-mounted lights are not allowed..

• There is no limit on the total number of lights. However, lights must not be unduly dazzling or distracting to others.

• All lights must be properly aimed. Cars with mis-aimed lights may be black-flagged at any time.

• Teams whose lights are deemed overly dazzling, insufficiently bright, badly aimed, or problematic in any other way may be black-flagged at any time.

• All lights must be present and working during tech inspection.

Side and Rear Glass: no restrictions

Noise Limit: 92dB @ 50 feet

PITS & PADDOCK

Overnight Camping: Camping in Paddock OK. Since you've got to be at the damn track all night anyway, there's no charge for camping at this one. Note: PBIR has an event on Wednesday night and LeMons competitors will not have access to the track until Thursday morning.

Vehicle Restrictions: Vehicles (including ATVs, motorized barstools and the like) must be operated by a street-licensed driver.

Pit Assignments: First come, first serve. The paved paddock is limited. PBIR has informed us you should be prepared to have one support vehicle and trailer with your car in the paddock. Extra motorhomes and vehicles will be positioned north of the tent.

Barbecues NOT Allowed: PBIR doesn't allow grills in the paddock, however the concession stand will be grilling and will be open during the entire race.

Running Water: There is water on site for hand washing / filling radiators -but don't drink it.

Bathrooms: Permanent bathrooms are scheduled for construction this summer, so barring disaster they'll be in place. If not, port-o-fun times for everyone.

Electrical Hookups: There are a limited number of electrical hookups at $55 per day. Call Arlene Lourie at 561.622.1400 to reserve.

Pit Hours: Just be polite to the neighbors.

Fuel Sold On-Site: There will be a VP fuels truck on site.

Dead Cars: Be prepared to bring them home, PBIR wants nothing to do with them.
Attachments
IMG_1724.jpg
IMG_1726.jpg
IMG_1725.jpg
IMG_1728.jpg
IMG_1727.jpg
http://www.tv4autos.com
1956 Ford Thunderbird tricked out!
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Callaway @ 24 Hours of Lemons

Post by SurfnSun »

I REALLY wanted to be there for this, but we have big NYE celebration that is mandatory. :rmad
kingforward
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by kingforward »

SurfnSun wrote:I REALLY wanted to be there for this, but we have big NYE celebration that is mandatory. :rmad
No worries Josh. We'll be using this car at other Lemons and "Chump Car" events in 2011. The chassis has 375,000 miles on it but the motor is super strong. Should be a fun event and we hope to make our COG brothers proud.

Strategy is to drive the thing for 24 hours as if we were driving it to the grocery store for milk..... :joker

We'll be posting "action photos" soon.
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

I'm there in spirit :hi
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

can we do a European tour LeMons too ??

I am willing to lend out my stage 3 VW Golf GTI Callaway turbokit for a racing season :jsmile .

good luck guys tomorrow, enjoy , I will be watching the webcam from the official website.
Callaway Owners Group : Division Europe
Callaway C1 project registry member
Kruzmisl
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Kruzmisl »

What a riot! I've not heard of this before, but how cool it would be to do. Good luck.
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

I dropped by to see the gang in the morning.... what a riot!

Here are some pics...

-Luigi
Attachments
IMG_5335.JPG
IMG_5306.JPG
IMG_5305.JPG
IMG_5255.JPG
IMG_5251.JPG
IMG_5249.JPG
IMG_5248.JPG
IMG_5243.JPG
IMG_5236.JPG
IMG_5206.JPG
IMG_5181.JPG
IMG_5178.JPG
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

And if you were penalized, you got called over to "Tech & BS" where Castro would read you the riot act and cast his punishment...
IMG_5339.JPG
and here are pictures of the Miami Vice-Grip (ex-Callaway Turbo) 323i on the track:
IMG_5272.JPG
IMG_5273.JPG
IMG_5274.JPG
IMG_5275.JPG
I wish I could have stayed and/or driven but I would have been shot, tarred, and feathered. I know a couple of COG members who will probably be in the sleeping in the dog house for a few months however :beer

Here was a pit stop for a quick brake pad swap:
IMG_5341.JPG
IMG_5342.JPG
IMG_5344.JPG
The Miami Vice-Grip Team strategy seemed to be paying off as I left as they were slowly moving up the rankings (20th place out of 74). The 383i was going strong while some of the other cars were going kaput...
IMG_5334.JPG
IMG_5270.JPG
-Luigi
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

:haha

-Luigi
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

Here we nearly captured a spin out...

-Luigi
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Where did the team finish??
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

I don't know, the results are not yet posted on the website. I was waiting to give them some time to recover before calling as they were up for the 24 hour race and then had to pack up and get out of the track after the event. I figured they were pretty much exhausted today. :zs

I'm sure they will chime in when they wake up

-Luigi
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
kingforward
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by kingforward »

Race Report/ 24 Hours of LeMons/ Team Miami Vice Grips

Guys, with there were 74 cars starting at midnight Dec 30th at Palm Beach Int Raceway. Team MVG had 5 drivers, 4 crew members and a 1980 BMW 323i with 370,000 miles on the chassis. The motor was an ex-BMW Callaway 320i, less turbo that was owned and built by a Callaway employee that specialized in the C1 program in the early 80s! It was "massaged" at Callaway during that time, but we do not know the specifics and had never touched the motor other than replace the head gasket last week. We nicknamed the car "Rusty".

We are happy to report that the car ran virtually flawless for 24 hours, came in 16th overall ( sixth in class) with hundreds of spectators cheering us as we passed the finish line taking the checkered flag at midnight, New Years Day. After 600+ laps of racing ( 1200+ miles) we only needed to add one quart of oil! One quart to a 30 year old engine!!

The guys on the team did a great job and many thanks to fellow COG members helping the effort including Bruce and Luigi. We learned a lot during the race and will return to the series in 2011 with a three car entry and an opportunity for fellow COG members to participate ( just need to show up sober and a valid driver's license).

And, I went back to the track this AM, put gas in the car and license plate on the bumper and drove it 70 miles home without an issue. How cool is that? We ran an old Callaway motor hard for 24 hours at the race track and drove the car home afterwards.... just like the Sledgehammer!! :beer

HNY COG friends!
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Great story!!

Glad to hear the car ran so well. Thats just awesome.

I hope to get in on some of this one day. :beer
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

As much driving as I do, this should be a cake walk. KF, hope you enlist me for next year :beer
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

That is a true testament to BMW & Callaway.

I wish I could have participated more without getting into trouble with the family (due to the NY's celebration). I really enjoyed helping out while I was there.

I'm in on the next non-holiday race!

-Luigi
Attachments
IMG_5322.JPG
IMG_5310.JPG
IMG_5281.JPG
IMG_5271.JPG
IMG_5266.JPG
IMG_5263.JPG
IMG_5182.JPG
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

thanks for the pictures :jsmile

looks like real fun to be there :thumbs
Callaway Owners Group : Division Europe
Callaway C1 project registry member
Evil Twin
8-PSI
8-PSI

Post by Evil Twin »

The Dog House......
Attachments
The Dog House......
The Dog House......
Evil Twin
8-PSI
8-PSI

Post by Evil Twin »

Attachments
BMW 010.jpg
BMW 009.jpg
CallawayWest

Post by CallawayWest »

Nice Work fellas!!! Amazing, truly amazing...

Looks like a hell of an adventure, the next one I won't miss!

PC