Will KYB Shocks fit 1987 RPO B2K?

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
VetteLee
1-PSI
1-PSI

Will KYB Shocks fit 1987 RPO B2K?

Post by VetteLee »

Hi All,

After doing some research on shock absorbers, I ordered some KYB shocks for my 1987 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette (coupe) from the TireRack. My local installer, who specializes in alignment but doesn't have a lot of experience with older 'Vettes said the KYB bushing size for the rears is too small and the front shocks won't fit. I checked the KYB site and the TireRack site and they appear to be correct for this application, based on the part numbers on the boxes: KG4537 and KG5564.

Has anyone else run into an issue like this? I'm assuming Callaway did not make any changes to the Z51 suspension since I haven't read anything indicating they did.

I have an email into TireRack to see what they might know.

Any other suggestions for shocks?

Thanks,

Lee

P.S. I posted a version of this question earlier today at Corvette Action Center: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/for ... post924098
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Will KYB Shocks fit 1987 RPO B2K?

Post by SurfnSun »

Hey Lee, Welcome aboard!

The B2k won't have any different suspension than any other stock Corvette, unless it has coil-overs.

I ran KYB's on one of my early C4's without a problem. Mid America used to sell KYB's for C4's, thats where I bought mine. Assuming you have the correct part, there is no reason it shouldn't fit.

I would personally stick with Bilstein's but the KYB's aren't bad.
VetteLee
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by VetteLee »

Thanks for the info/opinion, Surfnsun. Hopefully I'll get his sorted out this week.

Lee
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Hey Lee,

I just noticed i had a typo....I meant to say KYB's aren't bad. Ooops :joker
VetteLee
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by VetteLee »

The TireRack has advised that KYB does not make a shock for my car (Z51 specific). They said it was their error that this was not noted for this shock/application, and they are going to pay for return shipping, give me a refund and reimburse me for the labor I paid to R&R 1 shock.

Thanks,

Lee
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Wow!! Very cool of them.

Are you going to go with the Bilsteins?

Here is Mid America's page. They don't show a difference in the Z51 and base for the KYB's. I am sure they can be had cheaper elsewhere, but it might be worth a phone call to them.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-190.html
VetteLee
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by VetteLee »

SurfnSun wrote:Wow!! Very cool of them.

Are you going to go with the Bilsteins?

Here is Mid America's page. They don't show a difference in the Z51 and base for the KYB's. I am sure they can be had cheaper elsewhere, but it might be worth a phone call to them.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-190.html
Thanks SurfnSun. I have to give TireRack credit for covering their mistake - very unusual and definitely a differentiator for them.

I called TPIS this morning to see if they have shocks made for the '87 Z51 suspension, but I got a message to call back later because everyone was busy.

Looks like I'll go with Bilsteins.

Lee
VetteLee
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by VetteLee »

I found that the lower rear pin that the shock bushing fits over is larger with Z51 the suspension, so that's why a non-Z51 shock won't fit on the rear. It looks like the front shocks do not have to be Z51 specific to fit.

I did get in touch with TPIS and they are checking to see if their rear shocks will fit, but won't know until their next shipment comes in. Their shocks are supposed to have a less harsh ride than the Bilsteins.

Lee
VetteLee
1-PSI
1-PSI

Bilstein Shocks Installed

Post by VetteLee »

TPIS didn't have any shocks in stock and could not verify they would fit the Z51 suspension. They did say the shocks were originally developed and tested on the Z51 suspension.

I was able to get the right Bilstein shocks from The Tire Rack. I went to Palm Springs over the weekend to install them at friend's place. I also changed the oil/filter and replaced a defective blower control module which was draining the battery, and the alternator which was defective.

This is the first time I've driven the car any distance and I find it to be a very 'sweet' ride. It's very comfortable considering the relatively stiff suspension and shocks. I have a 2006 MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works GP Kit (a.k.a. MINI GP) and it has a harsher ride for most road conditions and is noisier. It is fun to drive, though.

Lee
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Good stuff Lee...did you just purchase the car?
VetteLee
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by VetteLee »

SurfnSun wrote:Good stuff Lee...did you just purchase the car?
Hi SurfnSun

Yes - I got it in early August. My Dad owned it for a couple of years and he sold it to a friend about 5 years ago, who in turn sold it to me.

Lee