Power Groups?

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
callawayz06
7-PSI
7-PSI

Re: Power Groups?

Post by callawayz06 »

Thanks for the info on the supercharger. If my car was a ordinary C5 Z06 I would consider it, since it is the test car I want to leave it the way it was owned by Callaway, and in the magazine articles. I was just wounder if Callaway was still offering them. :beer
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

callawayz06 wrote:Thanks for the info on the supercharger. If my car was a ordinary C5 Z06 I would consider it, since it is the test car I want to leave it the way it was owned by Callaway, and in the magazine articles. I was just wounder if Callaway was still offering them. :beer
...in that case, power group 4 is the way to go :cool
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

Callaway Chris wrote:
callawayz06 wrote:Thanks for the info on the supercharger. If my car was a ordinary C5 Z06 I would consider it, since it is the test car I want to leave it the way it was owned by Callaway, and in the magazine articles. I was just wounder if Callaway was still offering them. :beer

CHRIS,
I THOUGHT GARYS CAR WAS A POWER GROUP 4 CAR???

GARY,
YOUR CAR WILL NEVER BE AS IT WAS IN THE MAGAZINES!!!
MY SEATS ARE BACK IN MY 98 CALLAWAY SPORT, IT WAS ALSO USED AS A TEST CAR FROM C12 ON UP.
:thumb1
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

...there is a set of back sport seats on the shelves in Old Lyme. Gary, your car can go back to Power Group 4 + seats

John, I have about 5k mi in your seats, just not in your car :jsmile
callawayz06
7-PSI
7-PSI

Post by callawayz06 »

BIGJOHN wrote:
Callaway Chris wrote:

CHRIS,
I THOUGHT GARYS CAR WAS A POWER GROUP 4 CAR???

GARY,
YOUR CAR WILL NEVER BE AS IT WAS IN THE MAGAZINES!!!
MY SEATS ARE BACK IN MY 98 CALLAWAY SPORT, IT WAS ALSO USED AS A TEST CAR FROM C12 ON UP.
:thumb1
I thought my car was only missing the seats...the power group 4 was tested in my car for the mph/et. Test car for C12? :wtf
callawayz06
7-PSI
7-PSI

Post by callawayz06 »

Callaway Chris wrote:...there is a set of back sport seats on the shelves in Old Lyme. Gary, your car can go back to Power Group 4 + seats

John, I have about 5k mi in your seats, just not in your car :jsmile
Can't do it right know but mabe down the road, nice to here there a set of the sport seats. :beer
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

callawayz06 wrote:
I thought my car was only missing the seats...the power group 4 was tested in my car for the mph/et. Test car for C12? :wtf
Your car had the 6.8L engine in it (now considered the 7.0L) in my last installment:

http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/COTM ... r/cotm.htm
Callaway Z06

Following up on the Technically Correct Solution
Having left off at Power Group III the last time we sampled this car (Nov. 2004 Corvette Enthusiast), it was recently fitted with the fourth & final power enhancement that Callaway Cars offers for the C5’s, Power Group IV.

While the first three Power Groups shaved almost a second off the silver Z06’s quarter mile times, Power Group IV furthers performance gains by delivering a blistering 10.91 @ 126.85 mph, courtesy of increased displacement.

Power Groups I through III focus was on getting the air in and out more efficiently through full exhaust options, Callaways signature Honker™ air inlet with larger throttle body, and their “top end” package. However, this next gain begins right at the foundation.

Starting with a Corvette C5R block, Callaway selects a crank and rods along with new pistons that increase the displacement to 6.8 Liters. The aluminum heads previously installed as part of Power Group III are up-fitted with larger diameter valves to help take advantage of the gulps of air this machine breathes in and out.

Callaway Cars has certainly done their homework on the drivability of this package. While I have driven other “big cube” stroker cars over time, I honestly cannot recall one with smoother idle characteristics. While running around town in rush hour traffic, this machine did not seem to miss a beat. Obviously something so powerful needs the means to translate that energy into motion. Pleasantly surprised, the clutch that was selected was not at all overbearing and in the blasts between traffic, it held the power and put it to the ground.

Callaway’s Z06 reminded me of an old instant camera ad, “just point & shoot”. With 550 horsepower on tap that really sums it up – power on demand yet refined enough to drive every day if one chooses.

The Callaway Cars website has comprehensive information about all of their packages and products. For more information about them, visit http://www.callawaycars.com and be sure to check out the various milestones that laid the foundation for what we just sampled.

© 2004 C.C. and reprinted with permission by the CallawayOwnersGroup.com

All rights reserved.
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

GARY,
YOUR CAR WAS THE TEST CAR FOR THE C5 POWER GROUPS #1, #2, #3 AND #4; PLUS GETTING THE 550 TO RUN A 10 SEC. 1/4 MLIE.
THE C12'S WERE JUST ENDING PRODUCTION. :beer
callawayz06
7-PSI
7-PSI

Post by callawayz06 »

BIGJOHN wrote:
GARY,
YOUR CAR WAS THE TEST CAR FOR THE C5 POWER GROUPS #1, #2, #3 AND #4; PLUS GETTING THE 550 TO RUN A 10 SEC. 1/4 MLIE.
THE C12'S WERE JUST ENDING PRODUCTION. :beer
Big John, Thanks for the information. I do like the sport seats in your car. :beer I sat in it at Carlilse 05. Hmmmm....Christmas is coming, mabe Chris can give me a good deal on the pair. :jsmile