More DynoJet runs! Even more power!

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
632C2
4-PSI
4-PSI

More DynoJet runs! Even more power!

Post by 632C2 »

I made a bunch more runs this past weekend with the boost turned back down to appx. 17.5 psi. I was able to get my ancient laptop working again so I could download the runs once they were recorded. I burned a new chip with some timing changes and picked up another 10 rwhp and a whopping 45 rwtq! The best run was 607 rwhp and 718 rwtq.

Just for kicks and grins I decided to make a run in 5th gear instead of 4th gear. 4th gear is 1:1 and that is the ratio DynoJet wants you to use when making runs. I think 5th gear is .75:1. I'm sure that some of you have heard rumors about showing more horsepower and torque on a DynoJet by making a run in a gear higher than 1:1, changing the rear gear ratio to a numerically lower numbered gear, or changing to a taller tire. Well, in this instance it did just what the rumors state. The car made 628 rwhp and 760 rwtq in 5th gear! That is an increase of 21 rwhp and 42 rwtq!

The thing I need to work on now is trying to get the A/F ratio in a decent range between 3200 rpm and 4700 rpm. Looks like I will be trying even larger supplemental injectors for that. Have you guys guessed just how much I love this chassis dyno stuff? :mrgreen:

Steve
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: More DynoJet runs! Even more power!

Post by SurfnSun »

That is awesome!!! I wonder if the 5th gear trick would work on a NA car as well as it does the turbo one. I wouldn't be surprised to see more torque once you get more fuel to it. When my car was running in the leaner AF ratio we picked up about 50-60rwtq once we got more gas to her. :jsmile
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

WOW on your numbers!! :jsmile
632C2
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by 632C2 »

SurfnSun wrote:That is awesome!!! I wonder if the 5th gear trick would work on a NA car as well as it does the turbo one. I wouldn't be surprised to see more torque once you get more fuel to it. When my car was running in the leaner AF ratio we picked up about 50-60rwtq once we got more gas to her. :jsmile
Josh, the 5th gear trick didn't work on a friend of mine's Monte Carlo with a late model NA LS7 in it. He lost about 14 rwhp and 6 rwtq in 5th gear as compared to 4th gear.

As far as the leaner A/F and torque, you are absolutely correct.

Steve
632C2
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by 632C2 »

Callaway Chris wrote:WOW on your numbers!! :jsmile
Thanks, Chris!

BTW, I didn't realize that you actually work for Callaway in Old Lyme. I'm not sure if I told you or not, but I spent a week there during the final paint process on my Aerobody back in 1990. I will never forget it. An absolutely gorgeous part of our country.

I remember having lunch one day with Reeves Callaway at an outdoors eating spot. I told him that I was a hot rodder and had plans for the Callaway. He told me not to mess with the car and just drive the heck out of it. Well, we see how that worked out! :jsmile

Steve
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

632C2 wrote:
SurfnSun wrote:That is awesome!!! I wonder if the 5th gear trick would work on a NA car as well as it does the turbo one. I wouldn't be surprised to see more torque once you get more fuel to it. When my car was running in the leaner AF ratio we picked up about 50-60rwtq once we got more gas to her. :jsmile
Josh, the 5th gear trick didn't work on a friend of mine's Monte Carlo with a late model NA LS7 in it. He lost about 14 rwhp and 6 rwtq in 5th gear as compared to 4th gear.

As far as the leaner A/F and torque, you are absolutely correct.

Steve
My thoughts are...Turbos love a load :D To me it kinda makes sense that a NA car wouldn't see gains while a turbo car would. I can't wait to see you rock out 800+rwtq on "low boost" :thumbs