Rotomaster turbo dilemma - many parts unavailable

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
632C2
4-PSI
4-PSI

Rotomaster turbo dilemma - many parts unavailable

Post by 632C2 »

This subject was discussed on the other forum back in August and I have an update.

One of the concerns for those of us with Twin Turbo cars is the availability of replacement parts for getting our RotoMaster turbo's repaired or rebuilt. Here are the two posts that were put up on the other forum:

8/7/08:
Hi Sam
Sorry this took so long. But I want to make sure I find someone very qualified to machine these bearings. I should have an answer in the next couple of weeks. I need some help here. Can you see what interest you can generate in a group purchase of these bearings. This will bring the price down more if we can make 50 to 100 bearings.If the callaway guys buy them and hold on to them for future rebuilds they hold the key to getting this done. I have all the rest of the parts to rebuild these chargers. Also when they have damaged compressor wheels, the option is to machine the compressor housings out for larger flowing comrpessor setup which I have already done also. The turbine wheel journals can be turned down .010 under if damaged, as long as the blades are not damaged. Seal area's can be machined for oversize seals also. So the turbine wheels alot of times are repairable. The bearing housings can also be machined in the seal area's if damaged and completely replaced if damaged to far for .010 seals. On the .010 bearings I plan on purchasing a small quanity of these to keep in stock for more severly damaged shaft journals. Also these bearings are aluminum and will be looking at using a better grade that is more durable than the OEM bearing.
Let me know
Thanks
Charlie

8/11/08:
I hope you could forward this. The RM26's use one bearing per turbo/I will get a firm price on the cost of a set of bearings to do both chargers. I am doing this so that everyone owning a callaway twin w/RM26's will have the bearings in there possesion when time comes to rebuild the chargers. All other rebuild parts I have in stock. As mentioned if there is compressor wheel damage ie injested something or rubbed/the compressor covers can be machined for higher flowing bigger compressor wheels as I mentioned have done for a couple of the twins already.
Also we can rebuild any Roto-Master T4 out there. We can machine bearing housing seal area's/line hone bearing housings/straighten/polish/turn down undersize journal dia/open seal area's oversize on the turbine wheels/repair the seal area's of the bearing housings also. I even had one charger the threads got destroyed on the water fitting and repaired threads to OEM.
If anyone has questions please call anytime. I do appoligize about today as I spent alot of time at the doctor and missed alot of calls w/no messages/Hopefully not the twin turbo guys out there.
As a note, I have been in the turbo business 19 years, more to the point my father worked at Roto-Master from the beginning and wrote the RM manuals 1/2/3. I went thru RM when I was in high school. 73' seems like yesterday.
Again I will get back to the forum when I get a specific price/material upgrade we will use. And I may offer the first set discounted to tech spec the units.
Talk to you soon
Charlie Brown

Since nothing further came out of that discussion I decided to email Charlie yesterday. I asked what the status on replacement parts for our turbo's were and here was his response:

Sorry about that, I was in a hurry trying to get done, have all the parts to do the rebuild except the main bearing which is turned into a joke dealing with some of these people who claim they can do it no problem. Right now in my opinion its a dead in the water. Also, there are no turbine wheels/compressor wheels/bearing housings/seal plate/turbine housing/heat shield and spring. So all the parts to rebuild an exitsting core that IS rebuildable are available except the bearing. Major rebuilds needing major parts are not.
Hope that clarifies
Thanks
Charlie

Well, there you have it. The main bearing is still the big issue provided your turbo is rebuildable. If a major failure was to occur that required any of the major parts listed above, we would be out of luck.

I think this is a problem that could affect any of us no matter how you drive your car.

Any thoughts?

Steve
callaway4fun
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: Rotomaster turbo dilemma - many parts unavailable

Post by callaway4fun »

I guess sitting on three turbo's 2 brand new and one used I am in pretty good shape. The turbos are worth their weight in gold.
632C2
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by 632C2 »

Callaway4Fun wrote:I guess sitting on three turbo's 2 brand new and one used I am in pretty good shape. The turbos are worth their weight in gold.
You certainly are in pretty good shape.

I'm just wondering what all the other Twin Turbo owners are going to do...

Steve
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

I spoke with a guy at the new Rotomaster company. He said there are a handful of parts that would be interchangeable with some other turbos they had. He asked me what I needed but I did need anything at the time just doing research. Turbine housings would be a problem but I believe the wheels can be had. Compressor side can always be upgraded :jsmile
632C2
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by 632C2 »

SurfnSun wrote:I spoke with a guy at the new Rotomaster company. He said there are a handful of parts that would be interchangeable with some other turbos they had. He asked me what I needed but I did need anything at the time just doing research. Turbine housings would be a problem but I believe the wheels can be had. Compressor side can always be upgraded :jsmile
Good news, but did you happen to ask about the main bearings? These seem to be the real big issue right now.

Steve
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

No its been a while since I called him. I don't recall us talking about bearings.
callaway4fun
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by callaway4fun »

What happened with charlie getting the bearings done?
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Does anyone have the schematics available for the bearings? There are a bunch of machine shops in atlanta, I could certainly shop them out and see who can pull it off. :thumb1
632C2
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by 632C2 »

I guess we will have to wait until someone's turbos need to be rebuilt to see where this actually goes. I can't imagine that it can be that hard to find a shop to have some bearings machined - the only problem might be the cost.

Even though I just had my turbo's rebuilt, with the way that I abuse them I might be next...

Steve