AeroBody Tail - Is your black, or body colored?

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

AeroBody Tail - Is your black, or body colored?

Post by Callaway Chris »

I know the prototype car was body colored and most of the cars I have seen, have been body colored as well. But the Speedsters seem to be black and the SNAT's are mostly black - The ones with AeroBodies by Callaway Cars at least...

This is what got me thinking:
The rear license area on 91-024 is body color, and on the Speedster it is black. I hadn't really noticed this before because the 'Speedster' plate almost fills the entire space.

At first I thought that there was some kind of a filler panel on the Speedster, so I posted on the ZR1 forum to see if the panel/bracket from a ZR1 would work. Unfortunately, the space between the backup lights on a ZR1 is narrower (16" vs. 17.5" - Thanks Aurora40), so the ZR1 part won't work.

So I went back to the Speedster again and discovered that this gap is actually not a filler panel, it's painted with a textured black paint.

I really think this will look better on the yellow car if those gaps were filled in black, but I'm not really prepared (technically or emotionally) to spray paint it, so I'm thinking that some kind of a textured plastic sheet, cut to the right size, is all I really need.

I know I've seen this material somewhere, but I can't recall where or when, so before I spend time hunting through hardware and parts stores trying to find the right type of material, I'm wondering if anyone else has made something like this and knows where I can get it

FWIW, my red car is body colored (1989 B2K) and my SNAT is black (1993 SNAT 425)
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: AeroBody Tail - Is your black, or body colored?

Post by Callaway Chris »

http://www.sem.ws/news_article.php?article_id=5

Quote:
Unlike with other competitor’s products, the body shop technician will save time and consistently create a textured finish with the convenience of an aerosol can. This product is also a great addition to SEM 39803 CLEAR and 39813 BLACK CHIP GUARD
Chip Guard
39813 Satin Black
Buy in Qt. size and apply.
(also avail. in aerosol) http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=143

Also:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

3m Window Weld
No. 08609

Quote:
Image [click to enlarge] One part moisture curing urethane adhesive that bonds auto replacement glass to car bodies.
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Well, the post you referenced is mine, but I'll chime in anyway. The Speedster was already painted with the SEM paint, and the yellow car (91-024) was body color. I found a local SEM dealer and bought a can of the paint Callaway used, and painted the license area on the yellow car. Looks MUCH better in my opinion.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
CalJim
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by CalJim »

The SNAT is black and it looks really good!!
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Were did the spacer come from on this CR1?
Attachments
50ac_3.jpg
50ac_3.jpg (47.03 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
callaway4fun
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by callaway4fun »

The one on my car is black.I think it looks good that way.