TwentyTwo Motorsports Wins GT Title in Callaway Z06R

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
critt99
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

TwentyTwo Motorsports Wins GT Title in Callaway Z06R

Post by critt99 »

Twenty Two Motorsport Wins 2008 Title

With Four victories (Vallelunga, Valencia Steet Circuit and a double victory at Magny Cours), two second places (Valencia, Spa-Francorchamps) and two third ones (Valencia, Estoril), Corvette Motorsports newest team in 2008 finished the season perfectly. Marco Cioci and Andrea Pellizzato, became winners of the GTS (GT3) Class Title of the International GT Open 2008 and a first for Corvette in the series.

The Italian crew, behind the wheel of the Z06R GT3 Corvette lined up by Twenty Two Motorsport, dominated the season obtaining the title two races before the end and concluding at 71 points in the final classification, 20 adrift their closest opponent, Massimiliano Wiser (Aston Martin DBRS9).

This is a very prestigious result, considering the high level, both from a technical and sportive viewpoint, that the championship showed throughout the season, as is apparent from the drivers’ quotes:

“From the outside this might seem a victory achieved with relative ease, but that was not the case” Cioci declared. “The high competitiveness of our opponents always kept the fight alive on track, at least up to when the math made useless any efforts for a recovery. Compliments to my crew-mate, that is probably one of the youngest champions in the history of close wheels motor racing. A special thank goes to 22 Motorsport, that managed to be victorious since the first racing season and to Callaway that technically supported us with a practically perfect Corvette.”

“It has been an intense experience, difficult and amazing” added Pellizzato. “This was my first entire season in an International championship after the participation to some races during the past season. Racing with a crew-mate quick and experienced as Marco Cioci allowed me to work and grow up serenely; the great professionalism and proficiency by 22 Motorsport has been a further crucial aspect allowing me to become champion at 20 years of age. This is an excellent result, especially since it has been achieved behind the wheel of a fascinating car like the Corvette.”

The Chassis that won the 2008 title is among the oldest and most well known of the Z06Rs. The car was once in the hands of the Carsport Callaway in 2006 and later with PK Carsport in 2007 (notching the first GT3 win for Corvette). The team from Rome then purchased the car from PK to compete as the first ever Corvette entry in the Internaional GT Open.

5-Nov-08 Copied from http://www.corvettemotorsport.com/news/ ... ews_18.htm