Don't buy a Callaway Extended Warranty without reading this

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
BillMB

Don't buy a Callaway Extended Warranty without reading this

Post by BillMB »

I am voicing my experience about the purchase of a Callaway 5yr/100,000-mile Extended Warranty. On June 30, 2013, I purchased a 2011 Callaway Grand Sport with 6,300 miles on it. It was still covered under the original GM. One year after the GM warranty expired, I contacted Joanne Mercer about purchasing some Callaway items, such as the Order/Options sheet for the car. She had mentioned about purchasing the Callaway 5yr/100,000-mile extended warranty. The cost was $2,900. Since my warranty had already expired from GM, I was led to believe that this would protect the vehicle for five years from date of purchase. I had purchased other extended warranties for two other cars and in each case the warranty stared the day I signed/paid the contract.

I purchased the extended warranty on July 32, 2014, under the belief that it would be covered until 2019. I received a letter from Callaway stating: “Welcome to the Callaway family” and a warranty book and a receipt showing my purchase of an “Ext PT Service Contract, 5/100, Y”. There was no expiration date listed on the purchase receipt. We were in the process of moving into a new home, and I was returning to college to earn a degree. As a result, the corvette was only driven to car shows and special events. Over the next three years, I only added an additional 3,000 miles to the vehicle. After realizing that the Corvette was just sitting in the garage, I decided to sell it. I listed the vehicle for sale on several websites describing everything about the car. I was still under the impression that there was approximately two years still remaining on the warranty.

On August 18, 2017, I sold the car and the buyer called Callaway to see about transferring the warranty into his name. It was then that I was informed the vehicle was NOT under warranty. I, again, contacted Joanne Mercer, and she informed me that the warranty does not start at the time of purchase but only extends the manufactures warranty for two years. This was not my understanding at the time of purchase. I never would have paid almost $3,000 for a warranty that was only good for a few months, rather than the 60 months it leads you to believe. In my opinion, this is very deceptive and misleading advertising. I would advise anyone thinking of purchasing an extended warranty through Callaway to be very cautious and make sure you realize you are not buying a 5 year warranty as advertised, but for only two years at most, and in some cases, even less.

I would like to hear opinions from others who have had similar experiences.
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: Don't buy a Callaway Extended Warranty without reading this

Post by BIGJOHN »

July 32 must be a typo!
I own six Callaway vehicles!
They only warrantied their products that they installed for three years or thirty thousand miles!
I never purchase extended warranties!
BillMB

Post by BillMB »

Yes. It should be July 31, 2014.
CalJim
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by CalJim »

I own/owned Callaway Corvettes plus have had numerous discussions with Joanne Mercer including purchasing many items. I have always received great products and professional services from the entire Callaway team. They have always stood behind what they have sold. Joanne has always been very clear about terms and conditions of each purchase which included Dymag wheels. Joanne and Callaway have never been deceptive or misleading.
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

CalJim wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:12 pm I own/owned Callaway Corvettes plus have had numerous discussions with Joanne Mercer including purchasing many items. I have always received great products and professional services from the entire Callaway team. They have always stood behind what they have sold. Joanne has always been very clear about terms and conditions of each purchase which included Dymag wheels. Joanne and Callaway have never been deceptive or misleading.
Have to agree with CalJim here. I'm really sorry you had this misunderstanding, Bill, but for whatever its worth my experience with Callaway over the years on bold old and new cars has been just the opposite. Everyone at Callaway has always gone out of their way to ensure clarity, and I've always had great customer experiences. I also went through a similar warranty discussion for my 2012, and they were very clear on what the coverage was when I talked to them.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less