The Run Flat Twins... Where Are They Now?

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Michigan2

The Run Flat Twins... Where Are They Now?

Post by Michigan2 »

REUNITED!

As stated in the July 1995 issue of Vette Magazine, Larry Grindel and Les Jones were the first (and only) private owners of the Twins. For 18 years the Twins were together in Texas and made the rounds at various car shows and events. In 2012 Larry (and I) moved to Michigan and the Twins became separated by miles but remained together in spirit. Sadly, Les lost his wife in 2014 and I lost Larry two years later. This year, Les and I decided the Twins needed to be together again. So here they are in all their glory – reunited – in Michigan! Still beautiful EXCEPT Bridgestone no longer makes the size of tire they need so they are "running inflated" on Continentals... If you're in Michigan, keep your eyes peeled at the 2018 car shows!
Attachments
Twins.jpg
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: The Run Flat Twins... Where Are They Now?

Post by Callaway Chris »

Awesome!! Share more about where the cars have been, what was needed in maintenance over the past 2 decades, and anything else. Love stories like this! Thanks
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

That is awesome! Love those two cars! Six speed for me, auto vert for my wife....a guy can dream right? ;-lol
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

They look great! Thanks for posting this. Would love to hear more about their history.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
CalJim
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by CalJim »

Beautiful cars and wonderful story! Thanks for sharing!
kingforward
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by kingforward »

Thanks for connecting and sharing the story. Great looking pair of cars!
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

Always loved them :thumbs

Got Purple poster framed on the wall :jsmile
Callaway Owners Group : Division Europe
Callaway C1 project registry member
Michigan2

Post by Michigan2 »

The Beginning: Larry and Les bought the Twins in 1994. I actually didn't meet Larry until July of 1995 and our first date was a car show in The Woodlands, Texas. After the show, we took "Aqua Man" to a get together at the home of a member of The Sam Houston Corvette Club. I got to actually meet Reeves Callaway at that party as well. The next day (our second date) the Club went to a drag strip in Navasota. Larry was an excellent driver and got fast time that day. More importantly, I got my first kiss from Larry in that car on that second date and, 3 years later, we drove it from the church to our wedding reception...

Wonderful memories that always make me smile and, simultaneously, brings tears to my eyes. I know Les has similar stories about "Statutory Grape" and it is comforting to think that Larry and Diana are smiling down on us and The Twins! Stay tuned for "The Middle" of the story...
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Great memories!
critt99
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by critt99 »

Wow what a picture....