Aerobody Question

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Aerobody Question

Post by TN Aero »

Hello - I am new to the forum. I just got my 89 CTTC in November, it had been sitting for many (>10) years, so I am getting it ready to drive again. I will probably have several questions moving forward. My first though concerns the aerobody: This car was one of the first to get one and was not installed by Callaway because the first were not delivered when the car was ordered - they came about a year later in 1990. The "gills" behind the front tires on my car are covered on the inside with an aluminum plate that does not look like it should be there. I thought this is where air would be pulled out from the engine compartment to help pull air through the intercoolers. Are these gills supposed to be covered or should they be functional?

Thanks for you expertise.
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: Aerobody Question

Post by BIGJOHN »

Mine are open in front of doors; the gills behind the rear tires are not.
Does your car have the metal gills or molded plastic?
Early Aerobodys had metal gills
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by TN Aero »

I have not paid attention to the gill material. I will have to check this weekend when I get back to my shop. This is supposed to be one of if not the first produced given the documentation I have and confirmed by Callaway Chris, so based on what you are telling me, they should be metal.
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Can you post a pic?
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by TN Aero »

Big John - My "gills" do not appear to be metal - but I can't see the backside of them right now - I am just going by sound and touch. This is strange given this is the first car ordered (not lowest Callaway numbered) with the aerobody option and your statement about early ones having metal gills.

SurfnSun - A photo on the car trailer when I picked it up is attached. All I have is on the trailer right now. It has been on a lift and in pieces ever since.
Attachments
Callaway 1.jpg
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

There was a handful of older Callaway Corvettes that had been sent back for up grade, plus the Aerobody was sold as a kit.
:beer
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by TN Aero »

Big John - I have a great deal of documentation from Callaway in 1989 and 1990 that says this was the first car ever factory ordered with the aerobody. Because of manufacturing issues (tooling and trying to use something other than fiberglass) - all in the documentation - the first body panels were not delivered until 1990. They were installed in 1990 by a shop in FL. I sent all of this documentation to Callaway Chris, and he has confirmed my documents. He also told me that mine is not the lowest number with a factory ordered aerobody - I guess the reason for that would either be the Corvette factory did not deliver to Callaway the cars in the same order as they were placed (easily could have been because of options ordered) or Callaway did not number based on arrival. I suspect GM is the reason. Either way it is interesting history to go through.
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

It is a Beautiful car enjoy it.
I have Callaway C16 #002 2006 Z06 was ordered in 2006.
Since it's a Z06 with an LS7 engine; I had to wait for a larger supercharger and testing.
The car was delivered to me in 2012.
I have a 96 aerobody convertable and a 95 LM.