Cooling System Questions

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Cooling System Questions

Post by TN Aero »

I am currently working to get 1989 #46 back on the road. I have read posts about moving to the original thermostat location. If I do that, I assume that I can also buy the original hoses for the system, is this correct? I had my original radiator recored so that I can maintain it as original. I assume I need a new waterpump. I am trying to decide if I should go with a direct replacement or move to a high flow pump. I am leaning toward a high flow pump but am interested in hearing any thoughts from others. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Leo
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cooling System Questions

Post by SurfnSun »

Leo, the 89s didn’t have the external thermostat. Yours shouldn’t need to be moved.
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Most 1989 cars had the external thermostat, which made by Behr, is no longer available, so if it no longer functions (i.e., car runs hotter than before), you can replace with a conventional thermostat in the water neck and then hoses, also. Your car should run about 25 deg. F. cooler as a result. Perhaps more, depending on climate, etc.

Start with that. Unless water pump is leaking, I would not touch.
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by TN Aero »

Chris - since it has not been run for 12 years and sat with coolant during that time. I am replacing the hoses and have not ventured in to how to test the current thermostat and no idea on the waterpump status. I have a lot of stuff in the cooling system from it setting for those years. I hate to put it all back together and then find out the waterpump is bad or the thermostat is bad and then tear it apart again and buy new hoses again and/or replace the thermostat. I can test the thermostat with hot water but is there a way that I can test the waterpump? Hoses also aren't standard with the external thermostat - do I just buy the standard hoses and cut them to fit the thermostat in? I am trying to be cautious and hope to avoid digging back into it once I fire it up. Are there downsides to going with a new high flow waterpump and relocating the thermostat other than the cost of those items?

Thank you for any inputs anyone can provide
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Just cost.

All the cool kids changed over to conventional thermostats, so no harm in doing that, anyways. :thumbs
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by TN Aero »

Thanks - It is a cost now vice maybe more again soon and the trouble to replace it. I also get a cooler running car, so I am going to replace it all now.

I also want to be a cool kid.
Thanks.
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Callaway Chris wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 am Most 1989 cars had the external thermostat, which made by Behr, is no longer available, so if it no longer functions (i.e., car runs hotter than before), you can replace with a conventional thermostat in the water neck and then hoses, also. Your car should run about 25 deg. F. cooler as a result. Perhaps more, depending on climate, etc.

Start with that. Unless water pump is leaking, I would not touch.
Oh wow! I thought that stopped with the 88s...learned something new today :jsmile

Yes change it lol
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by TN Aero »

New question - Does any one know the part number where I can get a new water temp sensor that goes in the original radiator? It does not screw in place - it has two tabs that hold it in place and one of those broke when taking it out to refurb the radiator. I searched google images and looked up different car parts from the time period and struck out. Any help is appreciated.