SuperCharger SC 606 loud chirping

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
tdvette

SuperCharger SC 606 loud chirping

Post by tdvette »

SC 606 Grand Sport
SC 606 Grand Sport
Please help :I have 2011 GS convertible 6 speed Callaway with the SC 606 chrome supercharger, the engine makes the loud chirping/squeaking noise, very embarrassing and it sounds like it is coming from the supercharger itself. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the harmonic balancer, I had to pay for the special tool, pins, bolts and drill bit kit, new belt with labor and parts it was close to $1000.

Dealer had to drill holes to place pins into the balancer, but could only get 2 pins in. By the time I got the car home the squeaking and chirping noise is back. What else could be causing the noise, it is loud. The dealer said he was in contact with the Callaway phone support during the replacement .

1-Does the supercharger need oil, if so how can I check the oil.
2-Should the dealer drilled and installed 3 pins instead of just 2.
Thank you so much
-Tony
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: SuperCharger SC 606 loud chirping

Post by Callaway Chris »

Sounds like the belt might have a glaze, which can cause "chirping". I'd replace the belt, especially given the issue w/ the old balancer.

How many miles on the car? Original owner?

There's only 2 pins on the crank.
tdvette

Post by tdvette »

Hello Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, mileage is 32,100. Bought the vehicle from Criswell Chevy of Gaitersburg MD with a bumper to bumper warranty and 2 year CPO service contract on the vehicle. I live in NJ, so I am using a NJ dealer for the service. I have service appointment scheduled for Tuesday May 8. Belt was replaced and only 2 pins installed.

Looking at repair order : Line Item #
5) Serpentine Belt replaced.
6) Technician found harmonic balancer pined into crankshaft due to Callaway supercharger, had to buy special tool to perform repairs.
7) Technician removed all components, installed special tool, drilled 2 holes, installed 2 pins.

No charge for the Balancer because it was under warranty, I was advised the charge of 140 for the tool and 400 for the labor due to the CPO does not cover after market modifications. I have contacted GM because the dealer advised me the Callaway equipment was not covered due being after market equipment, I was not going to get involved with that conversation at the time however I do have a GM case opened for this issue.

thx
Tony
Attachments
SuperCharger.JPG
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Tony, thanks - and to be clear once again, only 2 pins are required on the pulley. Not 3.

Your car was originally delivered end of Aug. 2011. The Callaway 3/36 Powertrain Warranty and 5/100k warranties are all expired by now. Not sure what any CPO coverage might give, bit your paperwork probably explains. Past owner loved the car, I know. Traded it for a 2016 Callaway Corvette.
tdvette

Post by tdvette »

Hi Chris, the car is defiantly a unicorn in the configuration specially with the 6 speed, I just get nervous every time I take it out someone is videoing and snapping photos me, small price to pay for glory.. I don't care to much about the cost for service, I just want the chirping corrected. I will be doing the car show thing this weekend and then to the service shop on Tuesday. The dealer may or may not call into your support team.
Cally_Inside
Cally_Inside
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

Nice looking car!
How far are you from Connecticut?
:beer
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

Love that color :thumbs
Callaway Owners Group : Division Europe
Callaway C1 project registry member
tdvette

Post by tdvette »

BIGJOHN wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:54 pm Nice looking car!
How far are you from Connecticut?
:beer
Hello Big John, Old Lime is about 200 miles for Ex 4 NJ turnpike where I live or 3 half hours, or 2 hours in the Callaway. This car is special for me because of the Z06 wide body and Z51 package, and of course the reals mans 6 speed short throw shifter.
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

Give the Callaway shop a call (860) 434-9002
They may be able to help with your chirping.
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

BIGJOHN wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:49 am Give the Callaway shop a call (860) 434-9002
They may be able to help with your chirping.

But not until Wednesday. Our engineering group manager is out.
kingforward
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by kingforward »

Great looking color + convertible+ 6 speed....very nice.
GentleBen
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by GentleBen »

tdvette wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:01 am I will be doing the car show thing this weekend and then to the service shop on Tuesday. The dealer may or may not call into your support team.
It has been a week since the car was scheduled for service. Did they find and correct the chirping sound? Did anyone look at the belt at the rear of the supercharge to see if it was the culprit?