Starshield Aerobody clear mask

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Positive Pressure
7-PSI
7-PSI

Re: Starshield Aerobody clear mask

Post by Positive Pressure »

Ordered mine today for 1991-001 from Monique to be installed in Dallas next week. Was promised all the right things so I hope it goes well.
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Positive Pressure wrote:Ordered mine today for 1991-001 from Monique to be installed in Dallas next week. Was promised all the right things so I hope it goes well.
Who's 'Monique'? A local person or is she from Starshield? When I called Starshield, I was told I had to buy it from the installer - who hasn't called me back yet, by the way. Not a good sign. :afire
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Positive Pressure
7-PSI
7-PSI

jonstr wrote:
Positive Pressure wrote:Ordered mine today for 1991-001 from Monique to be installed in Dallas next week. Was promised all the right things so I hope it goes well.
Who's 'Monique'? A local person or is she from Starshield? When I called Starshield, I was told I had to buy it from the installer - who hasn't called me back yet, by the way. Not a good sign. :afire

Call 866-NO-CHIPS (she has no direct line but knew all about the Green Speedster) and ask for Monique. She'll be expecting a call now from Arizona :cool
Please ask if we order them at the same time (making mine Monday) if we can get a discount (group sale!). She has my credit card info and I still have one car in LA which she can do. She was very helpful and is coordinating my install next week at my house. She knows how serious we are about these priceless works of art.
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Positive Pressure wrote: Call 866-NO-CHIPS (she has no direct line but knew all about the Green Speedster) and ask for Monique. She'll be expecting a call now from Arizona :cool
Please ask if we order them at the same time (making mine Monday) if we can get a discount (group sale!). She has my credit card info and I still have one car in LA which she can do. She was very helpful and is coordinating my install next week at my house. She knows how serious we are about these priceless works of art.
I just called but it looks like they're gone for the day. I'll try again tomorrow, and if they're closed I'll call again on Monday.

Anybody else up for this? The more the merrier (and maybe the larger the discount...). :jsmile
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
kingforward
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by kingforward »

jonstr wrote:
Positive Pressure wrote: Call 866-NO-CHIPS (she has no direct line but knew all about the Green Speedster) and ask for Monique. She'll be expecting a call now from Arizona :cool
I just called but it looks like they're gone for the day. I'll try again tomorrow, and if they're closed I'll call again on Monday.

Anybody else up for this? The more the merrier (and maybe the larger the discount...). :jsmile
yup...I will call them today too.
critt99
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Dude, what are you doing up at 442am...

Post by critt99 »

Do you ever sleep?
Positive Pressure
7-PSI
7-PSI

Re: Dude, what are you doing up at 442am...

critt99 wrote:Do you ever sleep?

With 3 at least being bought on Monday we need to make sure we get a group discount :thumbs
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Positive Pressure wrote:Call 866-NO-CHIPS (she has no direct line but knew all about the Green Speedster) and ask for Monique. She'll be expecting a call now from Arizona :cool
I've just been on a series of calls with my local installer and with Monique at Starshield. :pale

The net is that Monique says the only Callaway clear bra they make is for the C16, they have no kit for the C4 Aerobody at all. While we were on the phone, I sent her a link to the photos of the green Speedster that Pete C. posted, and apparently they did a custom mask for it, they did not produce a kit. She also faxed me a picture of the template for the kit they do have, and it is definitely for a C16, not the C4 Aerobody. My installer did tell me he could do the custom mask for most any car, and the cost is only about $100 more than using a kit, so that may still be an option.

Positive Pressure - Monique is going to call you about this as well, as it looks like she was assuming you wanted a C16 mask.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

...if you guys think it will be easier for me to get you a C16, let me know - I can help. :beer
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

Callaway Chris wrote:...if you guys think it will be easier for me to get you a C16, let me know - I can help. :beer
:evilo

I would, In payments of 100 USD per month after delivery :ju :jsmile
Callaway Owners Group : Division Europe
Callaway C1 project registry member
Positive Pressure
7-PSI
7-PSI

For $480....I'll give you a 1996 for free with that deal
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

I had one of these custom made for the yellow car today. The local installer used the 3M film, and made the mask freehand since there is no pattern or kit.

WOW - it looks great - that is to say, you can hardly see it at all. I couldn't even tell it was on there until I was within about 12 - 18 inches of it. It lays like glass, and the orange peel effect is so faint, you really have to get down close to see any at all. I'm not even sure I can photograph it, it's that invisible. I'm going to run it for a bit, and if nothing changes, I believe I'm going to have one made for the Speedster too. :beer
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

...do not look at those through polarized sun glasses :conf
thebeepster
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by thebeepster »

Callaway Chris wrote:...do not look at those through polarized sun glasses :conf
:thumbs Yup..! Had mine installed and it magnifies the orange peel....not as noticeable without the sun glasses. Protection factor still makes it worthwhile :beer
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Any update on this? Positive Pressure...how did your install go?
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

SurfnSun wrote:Any update on this? Positive Pressure...how did your install go?
I ended up having the Speedster done too. It's a little more noticeable on the darker color, but I'm still pleased with the results.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

jonstr wrote:
SurfnSun wrote:Any update on this? Positive Pressure...how did your install go?
I ended up having the Speedster done too. It's a little more noticeable on the darker color, but I'm still pleased with the results.

How much did you have done? Front bumper or bumper + hood?

How does this affect the paint when you go to remove it if it yellows?
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

SurfnSun wrote: How much did you have done? Front bumper or bumper + hood?

I had both cars done the same way - front bumper, hood up to the top of the headlights (and the headlight panels of course), rear view mirrors, and the front Aerobody lenses.

I was told they can remove the film with no damage to the paint. On one of my trips they were removing the film from an older Porsche 911. He said the film had been on for several years (I want to say 5 or 8), and they were using heat guns to remove it. The film was very yellowed and showing its age, but the paint underneath looked great.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Positive Pressure
7-PSI
7-PSI

Had every inch of my car from the belly line down and the entire nose including inside both doors. Turned out very well but I did not go with Starshield and went to a local 3M rep who was repsonsive and talented. I think it turned out great... :thumbs
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

jonstr wrote:
SurfnSun wrote: How much did you have done? Front bumper or bumper + hood?

I had both cars done the same way - front bumper, hood up to the top of the headlights (and the headlight panels of course), rear view mirrors, and the front Aerobody lenses.

I was told they can remove the film with no damage to the paint. On one of my trips they were removing the film from an older Porsche 911. He said the film had been on for several years (I want to say 5 or 8), and they were using heat guns to remove it. The film was very yellowed and showing its age, but the paint underneath looked great.

Thats outstanding. If it lasts 5-8 years its well worth the investment of having it put on. Do you mind me asking what the cost was? I would probably do the front bumper, lenses, rear view mirror and most likely the entire hood if I could afford it.