L98 Redline

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Peaven
4-PSI
4-PSI

L98 Redline

Post by Peaven »

Not being real familiar with the L98, I set out to get some info on this topic and it seems the consensus is that a stock L98 is a tick or two above 5000RPM. Despite some searching, I can't seem to find much info at all re: our B2K L98 limits so before I give the folks at Callaway a shout I thought I'd ask the question to the group here...what is the recommended redline for the 87-91 CTTC? I'm guessing with the internal work that Callaway did on these engines that it's around 6K or so, but that's just a guess.

Also wondering if Callaway did any kind of fuel cutoff/rev limit on their tunes. My gut says that, in the earlier versions anyway, that functionality may not have been incorporated back in the day. I've been short shifting mine around 5K the few times I've had it out thus far, keeping with my cautious nature when acclimating myself with a new ride, but a few times I noticed that the turbos made a bit of a wheezing noise at the upper limit...which may or may not be me bouncing off the limit? Anyway thought I'd check with the experts here first, TIA. :beer
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: L98 Redline

Post by SurfnSun »

Actually the fastest times are put down by shifting around 42-4500rpm. Rev too high and you are out of the huge torque curve on the high side after shift. I think it was Mike Zoner from Callaway who ran a 12.6 in a stock car for a magazine test. He told them to shit around 4200rpm IIRC.
Peaven
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by Peaven »

Holy chit...guess I've not been short shifting :bash

But that seems to make sense as it definitely seemed to be pulling the hardest between 2-4K...between a GT350 I sold in January that had a redline of 8250 and a C4 ZR-1 before that, I'm used to those higher revving V8s. I'm learning more and more as I go and as much good info as there is in the owners manual, didn't really say anything about what redline is. It did list peak power is generated at 4500, so that seems to be a common sense place to consider the upper limit. Thanks for the tip Josh.
Robin
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by Robin »

I used to race one. The easy answer is shift when the front end drops. :beer
Peaven
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by Peaven »

Robin wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:17 pm I used to race one. The easy answer is shift when the front end drops. :beer
:thumbs