Hi! 🙋 I’m new here.

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Hi! 🙋 I’m new here.

Post by Rudevette »

Hello all. My name is Justin and I’m new here. I just bought a 2007 Callaway Corvette Convertible. It has 21,000 miles on it and is orange with tan interior. I currently own multiple Corvette, having purchased my first one 21 years ago. The cars are a 1968, 1975, 1978, 1980, 1981, and a 1998. All are coupes except for the 1968. The 2007 will replace the 1998 as the one we drive on our adventures.

Having said that, my story of getting the car goes like this: I bought it off of a Corvetteforum ad. It was located in southeastern Florida, my wife and I live in northeastern South Dakota. I got the financial transaction lined up with the banks and we jumped on a plane the next day. Three flights, one Uber ride, and 13 hours later we arrived at our hotel in Melbourne, Florida. The next morning we met with the sellers, who are very nice people, and got a wire transfer all done and hit the road for a night stay at Cocoa Beach. The car runs, drives, and looks like brand new.

All of that being said, I am a planning sort or person so I checked with the South Dakota DMV and the seller and was informed that if I had the bill of sale, the signed title, and insurance (which I do have all three) that I was good to drive the car home. Upon 30 minutes of driving north a local police officer informed me that is not the case. He was a very nice young man who informed me of the laws, but also had no solution to this predicament. He directed my attention to the local DMV office, which told me I cannot come there due to covid because they are only allowing county residents to enter. So, after some bit of time calling around once we got to our hotel I reached a nice lady at another dmv office an hour and a half away who said that despite me not being a resident if I go there she will bend the rules and get me in to print me a temp tag.

So here I sit. Having coffee and wondering how many times I’ll get stopped on my way to the dmv office, hoping to get this situation resolved and back on the road for 1500 miles home, all the while monitoring an impending snowstorm possibility in South Dakota Sunday night. 🥴. You just never know which way an adventure will take you.

I will post pictures after we get outside and loaded up.
2007 Callaway Corvette convertible. 3LT, Z51, automatic, polished supercharger, engine covers signed by Reeves Callaway, Atomic Orange Metallic with tan top and interior.
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Re: Hi! 🙋 I’m new here.

Post by Rudevette »

Here are some pics
Attachments
7BAE3BDC-71A4-401D-87E2-F4C3F8DA630F.jpeg
C90EA116-CDE0-441C-A767-3E4762B14F96.jpeg
BAC23B78-C16F-4BD6-9156-477B95A0DA81.jpeg
9F30BB2A-2D27-4D68-8D8A-95D4F0B4BB79.jpeg
2007 Callaway Corvette convertible. 3LT, Z51, automatic, polished supercharger, engine covers signed by Reeves Callaway, Atomic Orange Metallic with tan top and interior.
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Nice car!! Welcome aboard!
CalJim
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by CalJim »

Beautiful car and welcome! Good luck on your journey!
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

Nice looking car. Looks like a very early one, used upon the hood style which was used through 2007 (calendar-year)
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

Nice enjoy!
Please keep us informed on your continuing adventure!

:beer
kingforward
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by kingforward »

Super looking convertible and congratulations but, you need to get out of Florida ASAP...a tropical storm is headed our way!

Cheers for a safe trip. 👍
callaway4fun
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by callaway4fun »

Looks Great good luck with it!
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

Thank you everybody. We are outside of Birmingham Alabama tonight. This morning we went to the Daytona dmv. They were really nice but tried to charge me thousands in sales tax. I had to explain to them that in this case they collect the sales tax of the state the car will be registered in. She agreed. South Dakota has no sales tax on cars. I told her that and she said she would have to charge me Florida sales tax then because some amount of sales tax HAS to be paid. I explained how the laws work and ended up with my Florida temporary tag for $5 as per the law. Now to hit the road in the morning due north. We got a snow storm in our face and a tropical storm on our tail!😜

Now for my impressions of the car...... PERFECTION!!! That’s all I can say. This car does everything perfectly with refinement and precision. None of my corvettes are anywhere remotely close to stock.... but none of them perform so perfectly as a package as this car does. The team at Callaway is obviously the elite in the corvette refinement industry.

I will update on our trip tomorrow. Thanks for reading.
1988Callaway#16
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by 1988Callaway#16 »

Nice ride! Gotta love Corvette Convertibles, especially a Callaway one. Safe travels. Kevin
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

Hi guys. We made it to Clinton, Missouri. No issues. We drove 11 hours today with the top down and 75-80 degree weather the whole way. We have 8 hours tomorrow and we will be home. Went to the car wash tonight and parked her right outside the window. I only have one complaint now after a couple of days. That factory xm, navigation, cd, dvd head unit is such a piece of crap! It works, but the screen interface sucks. I wish I could just download a new, updated operating system into that thing. I’ll get into that when I get home.😊
Attachments
95B86664-10B4-4CFE-B6C2-3B2463A73978.jpeg
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

I am trying to recall if it's a Panasonic or Pioneer unit a friend has in his C6. He's integrated a back up camera, too. Loves it!! Pioneer, maybe?
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

I know the new pioneer has obdII in it as well. They probably all do. I’ll have to worry about that over the winter
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Rudevette wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:07 am I know the new pioneer has obdII in it as well. They probably all do. I’ll have to worry about that over the winter

Pioneer seems to be the favorite aftermarket unit. My plan is to put a Pioneer in mine with front and back cameras.
Dakota Aero
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Dakota Aero »

Hey Rudevette, hope you are back. I live south of Rapid City and own B2k 1990-024. If you head for the Hills, pm me, let's meet and share Callaway experiences! Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your purchase! :thumbs

DakotaAero
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

Dakota Aero wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:41 am Hey Rudevette, hope you are back. I live south of Rapid City and own B2k 1990-024. If you head for the Hills, pm me, let's meet and share Callaway experiences! Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your purchase! :thumbs

DakotaAero
We made it back last night. I do find myself in the black hills a couple of times per year. One of them is normally the black hills corvette classic, and we like to come out in the fall. I’m sure next summer at the classic will be my next trip out. We will have to get together.
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

We made it home last night. No problems at all. One strange thing happened. We were driving north about 40 miles south of council bluffs Iowa (which is about five hours from home) and I looked in the rear view mirror and see a c7 z06 coming up pretty quickly. As it got closer I see two maroon racing stripes on it and knew right then that it had to be our friends from NW Iowa who we go to corvette events with. It’s been last July since we’ve seen them. Sure enough they pulled alongside and it was them!! They were on their way home from their sons house in Kansas. They knew of a great brunch spot in Council Bluffs, Iowa so we decided to go there for a stop. (Caddy’s is the name of the restaurant and it is WONDERFUL). So an hour and a half later we left, followed them to their new house to take a tour, then got back on the road. It was a strange coincidence and a great surprise to end the last day of our trip.

The car is home in the garage. Now I need to wash it up after we get a break in the weather.
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Thats a great story. When I bought my 1988 Callaway Twin Turbo back in 2002. I drove it home to Florida from upstate NY where I bought it. Met a Callaway owner and crashed at his house for a night. We are still great friends almost 20 years later! Its a great group to be a part of.
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

nice car , rare color :thumbs

:hi
Callaway Owners Group : Division Europe
Callaway C1 project registry member
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

Thanks. I do have to say that every single person who has seen the car loves the color. My wife loved it right away. I was more focused on the supercharger and details of how the install was done and the z51 package and lt3 options and didn’t really think much about color.😆