My flow forged wheel saga

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

My flow forged wheel saga

Post by Rudevette »

Hello friends,
Here is an update on my Callaway flow forged wheel saga for my C6.

Let’s start with a little review. I bought a set of silver flow forged wheels for a C6 non z06 Corvette off of the Corvette forum to install on my 2007 Callaway. All four wheels were shipped with four different tracking numbers via UPS on the same day in matching boxes. UPS stole one of the wheels at the distribution center in Aurora Colorado. After a long fight with UPS, they told me to get bent and I began my lifelong obsession of digging deep into the system like theft at UPS distribution centers and telling the world.

So then I had one rear wheel and two front wheels for my car. I bought another rear wheel off of eBay from Callaway cars. I believed it to be the correct dimensions but it was a different color. So I took all four wheels to my buddies body shop and he and I refinished all four of them to a color quite similar to the black one that I purchased on eBay.

Prior to this I spoke with somebody at Callaway parts counter and ordered a set of center caps for these wheels. The center cabs have sat in my garage for a number of months until now that the wheels are finished.It turns out the center caps only fit the one black color wheel that I bought off of eBay. The center hole where the cap goes on that wheel is about 2.5 inches. The three silver Callaway wheels that I got off of the Corvetteforum have center caps holes about 2.25 inches.

Now I’m back to hoping Callaway has matching center caps in the smaller 2.25” size that I can buy for the three wheels and I’ll run a 2.5 center cap on the other wheel.

It’s getting to be awefully frustrating.

-Justin
Attachments
B6972825-C511-43DC-AA3A-996A33DFF797.jpeg
2007 Callaway Corvette convertible. 3LT, Z51, automatic, polished supercharger, engine covers signed by Reeves Callaway, Atomic Orange Metallic with tan top and interior.
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My flow forged wheel saga

Post by SurfnSun »

Oh geez man. So sorry to hear that. Keep the faith, those are sweet looking wheels and you’ll love them once it’s all said and done. :beer
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

I think I found black plastic caps on eBay that will fit if I need to go that way. I really like the Callaway center caps though. If I get the eBay caps I can paint them with the pearl silver top spray that we used and get some c6 center decals or something.

My wife says to just go buy a different set of wheels that I like, but I’m stubborn and am not ready to lose this battle. 🤣😎. Plus I’m now $2500 into this set and close to the finish line...... maybe.....

-Justin
2007 Callaway Corvette convertible. 3LT, Z51, automatic, polished supercharger, engine covers signed by Reeves Callaway, Atomic Orange Metallic with tan top and interior.
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

Keep the faith, Justin. Callaway always came through for me in the past 20+ years, and if they can help you, they will.

Understand on wife logic. Keep the peace, but explain your position and stand firm :beer
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

In the end, if I ever get these wheels together and on the car, it’ll make a great story over beers at the Black Hills Corvette Classic.🍺
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

So here’s the story. The silver wheels that I got (one of which UPS stole), are very early production Callaway flow forged wheels. These had aluminum center caps that measured 2.332”. Callaway then changed the wheel center cap holes and went to the plastic center caps and these measure 2.555”. So now it’s back to the drawing board on center caps.

-Justin
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Are the aesthetics of the caps the same? Id see if Callaway can make you an aluminum one that fits the plastic size. The size differential from front to back would not be noticeable to 99.9% of people. From 5' away discerning .2" would be a tall order
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

I ordered some black plastic caps on eBay in the two sizes. The caps match the Callaway caps that I have in their basic shape. I’m going to paint them to match the wheel and apply a c6 center cap emblem decal, or else get my graphics guy who does graphics for my business vehicles to custom print me a decal for the center.

I’ll see what the eBay caps are like when they get here.

-Justin
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

SurfnSun wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:34 am Are the aesthetics of the caps the same? Id see if Callaway can make you an aluminum one that fits the plastic size. The size differential from front to back would not be noticeable to 99.9% of people. From 5' away discerning .2" would be a tall order

That's what I would do, too. Callaway machined the caps out of billet for the 19/20" wheels they offered. I do not know the cost of the center caps, but they machined the CALLAWAY logo into the caps and they were retained by three Allen / hex bolts from the backside. Nice thing about those, they do not "pop" out on accident, like plastic caps can/could. Again, that's what I'd do. :beer
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

These are the Callaway center caps.
Attachments
6BD3A071-7281-4338-BC2B-C890FE93CE47.jpeg
0F4CC566-609D-438B-9F1D-7460F779B547.jpeg
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Maybe get a custom sized set of these.
Attachments
110DDC4F-255D-4969-93D8-8352F801A5EC.png
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

It would be nice to get a set of those aluminum caps. To tell you the truth, I’m so sick of this wheel mess I’m about ready to throw the whole set on the “track day extra crap” stack. I’m so ready to forget about it that I can’t hardly stand it. This was supposed to be a great upgrade, instead it’s $3000 and 6 months down the crapper. I could have had a set of real wheels for that money.
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

Callaway said they will not make a set of aluminum center caps.

If need be my son is a machinist and we can make our own. We almost need a dedicated machine in the shop for one off parts like this so we don’t have to retool something else. Might be time to start looking around.

-Justin
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Rudevette wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:59 am Callaway said they will not make a set of aluminum center caps.

If need be my son is a machinist and we can make our own. We almost need a dedicated machine in the shop for one off parts like this so we don’t have to retool something else. Might be time to start looking around.

-Justin

That is disappointing to hear.
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

Here is what I did. Plastic center caps off of eBay. I sanded and cleaned them, sprayed with plastic primer, painted with metallic black lacquer, painted lightly with pearl metallic silver lacquer overspray, applied two coats of lacquer clear it, stuck some c6 center cap decals on that I bought off of eBay, then sprayed two coats of lacquer clear coat over the top.

Not necessarily what I envisioned but given my situation it’s all I could think of trying. I’m going to run them and see if they grow on me. Like everything else, the person who does the project sees all of the flaws so maybe after I get them mounted and forget about them awhile I’ll like it better.

I also bought a new set of black lug nuts and dusted them with the silver metallic and clear coat.

-Justin
Attachments
5C2BA603-7544-4F15-896D-96917E27AE19.jpeg
3FE7CB6F-9F45-4C90-8439-633019C2C8CC.jpeg
4513BAEB-46DE-407B-A9B6-EC47AAC834FF.jpeg
80DAF4E0-CFAB-4778-A326-825B6033BB0B.jpeg
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

That looks reasonably good, all things considered. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

The wheels, since they are branded in the barrels as CALLAWAY, you are fine by not over branding. At this point, I'd hate on UPS, but enjoy the car. Cheers. :beer
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

That looks great. Congrats on making the best of the situation :beer
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

Thanks everybody!!😺