Purchasing advice for a B2K

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Steve B
1-PSI
1-PSI

Purchasing advice for a B2K

Post by Steve B »

Hello,
I came accross this website and have been thinking about whether to make the leap and buy a B2K car. I owned an 87 # 163 and bought it brnad new. It was a great car and I only put 2K miles on it for the ten years that I owned it. I just like to look at my cars and keep them in absolutely new condition. I was wondering what issues will these cars have as they get much older ie. 30/40yrs old? My car was trouble free but was only ten years old and was a super low mile car. If I decide to get another one, are there still super low mile car available? I would want a conv. 88/91 in red/red 6sp or auto is fine in absolute original showroom condition. Non areo preferred. On a side note when I had my car Leonard Wiggins ran a COG back in the late80s early90s, is he still involved in the club? Thanks in advance.
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: Purchasing advice for a B2K

Post by Callaway Chris »

Leonard is a good friend of mine and he participates by coming to some of our events. :cool
The Callaway Owners Group has been around since 2001, I know Leonard used to keep track of cars, but now he just enjoys the two he has :thumbs

Regarding your other question on the cars - Some of these cars are 20 years old now and Callaway Cars remains commmitted to supporting the cars and has been actively doing so since they were built. I remember some of us asking Reeves his position on the matter back in 2002, and he said he would always do what he could to support these cars :thumbs
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Steve B wrote:Hello,
I came accross this website and have been thinking about whether to make the leap and buy a B2K car. I owned an 87 # 163 and bought it brnad new. It was a great car and I only put 2K miles on it for the ten years that I owned it. I just like to look at my cars and keep them in absolutely new condition. I was wondering what issues will these cars have as they get much older ie. 30/40yrs old? My car was trouble free but was only ten years old and was a super low mile car. If I decide to get another one, are there still super low mile car available? I would want a conv. 88/91 in red/red 6sp or auto is fine in absolute original showroom condition. Non areo preferred. On a side note when I had my car Leonard Wiggins ran a COG back in the late80s early90s, is he still involved in the club? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Callaway Cars Forum, Steve. From what I've learned, these cars are about as solid as you can get and, as Chris mentioned, Callaway continues to support the cars with parts and service. There are some low mileage cars out there that pop up for sale from time to time, you just have to be patient and wait for what you want. However, with only 500 or so made over the entire 5 year run, they are not plentiful, so 'patient' is kind of the key word. Keep your eyes on the 'Callaway Corvettes For Sale' thread here, and also on the Callaway Marketplace on the Callaway Owners Group website (http://www.callawayownersgroup.com). Best of luck in your search!
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

Steve,

:hi

Welcome to the new COG!

We formed back in 2002 at Carlisle. Reeves was the guest of honor at our Dinner and the resounding question from all the owners was support for these cars as they continue to age. While Callaway Cars continues to develop new and exciting products, as Callaway Chris mentioned, Reeves committed to continue supporting these cars. Since then a good number of parts and upgrades have been made available for these cars including a bigger wonderbar, stronger wastegate springs, megaphones, and a wider stainless exhaust.

I took in my 1991 Twin Turbo for a complete restoration in 2004 and periodically there is a Twin Turbo in the shop for service.

Leonard continues to participate. He was at Carlisle with the group and at the NCM for Reeves induction into the Hall of Fame. Here is a group picture at the HOF, see if you spot Leonard.
COG @ NCM-HOF
COG @ NCM-HOF
IMG_1259.JPG (200.42 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
Regards,

-Luigi
:cool
http://www.tv4autos.com
1956 Ford Thunderbird tricked out!
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Steve,

Welcome to the board. Leonard is a good friend..its neat to hear from someone who was around when he was running the registry.

There are certainly ultra low mile cars available but they come with a price :jsmile

Here's to hoping you find the one youre looking for. :beer

Josh
Steve B
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by Steve B »

Thanks for the welcome guys, I will be patient in my search. It is nice to know that Leonard is still involved in the hobby, he's a great guy and it looks like he lost a lot of weight.
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Any luck in our hunt for a Callaway????

WHile there were updates made to the marketplace on the COG site, there has not been any convertibles that match your request...
Steve B
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by Steve B »

Chris, no luck in my search. I have to admit I am not in a real hurry to get anything yet unless something really speaks to me. :beer
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Steve B wrote:Chris, no luck in my search. I have to admit I am not in a real hurry to get anything yet unless something really speaks to me. :beer
...someday, I'll share the whole story on how I found my 1989 B2K - it is a long, but great tale :cool

In the meantime, I am pleased to know by not hesitating on the car, I wound up with one of three red/black 6-spd coupes w/ Aero for 1989
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Steve B wrote:Chris, no luck in my search. I have to admit I am not in a real hurry to get anything yet unless something really speaks to me. :beer
http://www.corvettemike.com/showroom/?cf=1085

This one is *close*
Steve B
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by Steve B »

Corvette Mikes car is very nice. I wish that it was a convertible.