CTTC Accessory drive belt

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

CTTC Accessory drive belt

Post by jonstr »

Anyone have a part number for this (91, if it matters)? Is it the same as a stock Corvette belt? The belt in 024 looks kind of dried out and is cracking, so I'd like to replace it before it strands me someplace. I don't see a mention of it in the Callaway owners manual.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Re: CTTC Accessory drive belt

Post by Luigi »

Jonstr,

If you are referring to the serpentine belt, no it is not a stock length. It is a Callaway custom length because of the turbo oil pump which replaces one of the stock pulleys. Order one before you have an issue on the road.

Good catch.

Personally, while you are at it, I would also advice that you also replace the turbo coolant & oil lines as well which are now 15-20 years old. If the oil line cracks the oil pump will pump the oil out of the engine rather fast. I did all this as part of the restoration that Callaway did for me in 2004 and should be part of regular maintenance over time.

-Luigi
:cool
http://www.tv4autos.com
1956 Ford Thunderbird tricked out!
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
Positive Pressure
7-PSI
7-PSI

Post by Positive Pressure »

Good call Luigi, Remind me to ask Mike to do this while my car it in Old Lyme.
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Luigi wrote:Jonstr,

If you are referring to the serpentine belt, no it is not a stock length. It is a Callaway custom length because of the turbo oil pump which replaces one of the stock pulleys. Order one before you have an issue on the road.

Good catch.

Personally, while you are at it, I would also advice that you also replace the turbo coolant & oil lines as well which are now 15-20 years old. If the oil line cracks the oil pump will pump the oil out of the engine rather fast. I did all this as part of the restoration that Callaway did for me in 2004 and should be part of regular maintenance over time.

-Luigi
Thanks Luigi. Hopefully all that stuff is still available from Callaway. I guess I'll give Joanne a call on Monday. I just checked the website and didn't see the belt, and there are so many different turbo oil and coolant lines, I'm not sure which ones I need.

Is there a shop manual available from Callaway for these cars? I have the shop manual from GM, but does Callaway publish anything for servicing their components? I'd like to do this work myself.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

While there is no manual for the cars to the extent of what I think you are asking for, Joe K. (Magic Dragon) did all his maintenance work over what the CHevrolet manual calls for. He replaced hoses and other rubber parts as suggested. Hopefully he will chime in.

I sent my black CTC to Old Lyme and had about $8,000 worth of work done - While quite a bit of that was tune up and tuning work, about 1/3 of the cost, maybe 1/2, was new hoses and lines. What was not on the shelf, they fabricated for me.
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

I have seen no service manual nor do I think one exists for owners.

If you are inclined to do the work yourself, they will certainly make the hoses and sell them to you. I actually bought the hoses from them. Since I do not have a lift, I gave up and sent them the hoses back with the car as I had other work to be done at the shop. However with a lift, I am certain you can do the work yourself.

Actually, I once changed the spark plugs on my car which is almost as complicated since you have to remove the up-pipe from the passenger's side turbo and I also had to remove the coolant hose because it was in the way of one of the bolts that needed to be removed. I did not have the advice of MagicDragon at the time, and without a lift, ended up wearing quite a bit of coolant to change plug #8. Also, my slender body :conf was an issue crawling under the car.... I hope I never have to repeat that again.

Still, I think it is something to consider as the cars age on the preventative side of things.

-Luigi
http://www.tv4autos.com
1956 Ford Thunderbird tricked out!
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
MagicDragon
7-PSI
7-PSI

Post by MagicDragon »

JONSTER, send me your Callaway and I will do all the maintenance on it for you- gratis, just pay for the parts. I love working on them and treat them like china and go the extra mile on everything. I'm VERY passionate when it comes to Callaway products. Seriously they are not that difficult to service. A lift is handy but not required. I have a lift- and it makes a hard job easy. Using the proper AN wrenches and a few fabricated tools makes swapping the coolant hoses easier. The oil lines are not that bad to get to if your a retired Thoroughbred Horse Jockey - hehe. As far as the plugs go Luigi took a bath because he didn't have a ball ended 8mm hex wrench to remove the up pipe on the passenger side. (good effort Luigi!!)Once the intercoolers and up pipes are out of the way it's as easy as a regular corvette to replace the plugs. Replacing the plug wires requires lots of patients to thread them into the thermal tubing and place them correctly by length and route them properly (like factory). Feel free to PM me or ask here on the forum if you have any questions. :thumbs
2011 Callaway Supercharged 427 Grand Sport
Callaway built C5R block, ultra lightweight forged crank, billet rods, forged pistons, Callaway cam and valvetrain, 4LT, Mag ride, severe duty RPM transmission 668 brake HP 632 torque :hi
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

MagicDragon wrote:JONSTER, send me your Callaway and I will do all the maintenance on it for you- gratis, just pay for the parts. I love working on them and treat them like china and go the extra mile on everything. I'm VERY passionate when it comes to Callaway products. Seriously they are not that difficult to service. A lift is handy but not required. I have a lift- and it makes a hard job easy. Using the proper AN wrenches and a few fabricated tools makes swapping the coolant hoses easier. The oil lines are not that bad to get to if your a retired Thoroughbred Horse Jockey - hehe. As far as the plugs go Luigi took a bath because he didn't have a ball ended 8mm hex wrench to remove the up pipe on the passenger side. (good effort Luigi!!)Once the intercoolers and up pipes are out of the way it's as easy as a regular corvette to replace the plugs. Replacing the plug wires requires lots of patients to thread them into the thermal tubing and place them correctly by length and route them properly (like factory). Feel free to PM me or ask here on the forum if you have any questions. :thumbs
Thanks for the offer. If you lived closer, I'd probably take you up on it so I could learn more. You sound like you treat your cars the same way I do. I may be sending some questions your way as I work the bugs out of the new car. :hi
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less