How to tie down a vette

Any Discussion not applicable to the other Forums. Jokes, pictures of your pet frog, and other non-sense! Have Fun!
User avatar
i10fwy
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:11 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

How to tie down a vette

Post by i10fwy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:16 pm

OK now that I have a trailer on order what is the best method of securing the car. I have looked on the other forums and the opinion varies. If I'm going to buy straps, I want to invest in the correct ones. I am considering full length E-Track

So? Wheels nets? Secure to the frame? :stupid

:joker
i10fwy
87-070

User avatar
jonstr
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Arizona

Re: How to tie down a vette

Post by jonstr » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:30 pm

I've always secured to the frame. C4s have tabs in all 4 corners that were used when they were transported from the factory, so I've always figured they were good enough. I picked up 4 d-ring shackles from Home Depot to put in the tabs because most of the tie down hooks I've seen don't fit well in them. I run 4 tie-down straps, 2 front/2 rear, and cross each pair to minimize the chance of movement.

That said, I've never had a trailer with Etracks, and I have heard they are the way to go.
Later,
Jonstr
2012 Callaway B2K

User avatar
Jeroenvgfn
Posts: 1691
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:17 am
Location: Netherlands, Europe
Contact:

Re: How to tie down a vette

Post by Jeroenvgfn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:51 am

pictures :jsmile
Callaway Owners Group : Division Europe
Callaway C1 project registry member

Callaway Chris
Posts: 3781
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Old Lyme, CT
Contact:

Re: How to tie down a vette

Post by Callaway Chris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:23 am

jonstr wrote:I've always secured to the frame. C4s have tabs in all 4 corners that were used when they were transported from the factory, so I've always figured they were good enough. I picked up 4 d-ring shackles from Home Depot to put in the tabs because most of the tie down hooks I've seen don't fit well in them. I run 4 tie-down straps, 2 front/2 rear, and cross each pair to minimize the chance of movement.

That said, I've never had a trailer with Etracks, and I have heard they are the way to go.


I agree with all this - except I don't cross the straps on mine.

User avatar
SurfnSun
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: On the move...
Contact:

Re: How to tie down a vette

Post by SurfnSun » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 am

Yup the loops on the frame make it very easy to tie the car down.

User avatar
i10fwy
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:11 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: How to tie down a vette

Post by i10fwy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:26 pm

SurfnSun wrote:Yup the loops on the frame make it very easy to tie the car down.
Any special type of hook? T-Hook, J-Hook?

I was told by a engineer at Mac's that GM after much review of their warranty claims (many years of papertrail) no longer use that method, the now use wheel straps only?
i10fwy
87-070

User avatar
SurfnSun
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: On the move...
Contact:

Re: How to tie down a vette

Post by SurfnSun » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:04 pm

J hook is very easy. If you lay next to the car and look under hey are clearly visible. :thumbs

User avatar
i10fwy
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:11 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: How to tie down a vette

Post by i10fwy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:39 pm

SurfnSun wrote:J hook is very easy. If you lay next to the car and look under hey are clearly visible. :thumbs
Surf on my 87 I looked under it and don't see what you are talking about. :wtf Perhaps if I got it on a lift?

:joker
i10fwy
87-070

User avatar
SurfnSun
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: On the move...
Contact:

Re: How to tie down a vette

Post by SurfnSun » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Image

User avatar
SurfnSun
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: On the move...
Contact:

Re: How to tie down a vette

Post by SurfnSun » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Image

Post Reply