HELP - oil everywhere!

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Autoxtraz

HELP - oil everywhere!

Post by Autoxtraz »

Hi folks - newbie here from sunny Scotland....just bought 1986 C4 No 134 which had been unused for 2 years. Drove it home 465 miles at 65/70 no problem. Gave it a few bursts to some high MPH before getting home - opened hood in the morning and oil everywhere along the engine front/pullys etc etc. Sump was pretty depleted but no warning or pressure lights. Steam cleaned the motor today but cannot find any obvious leaks so am assuming it's blowing/sucked out at high rpm on boost. Closest I can come to a guess is perhaps the oil pump leaking from main seal facing the block??? The oil fittings are all tight/clean. Not being to familiar with the small block does anyone have any info/insight to this problem??
Jock
gils4sea
8-PSI
8-PSI

Re: HELP - oil everywhere!

Post by gils4sea »

Based on your description, I think the culprit is likely the front crankshaft seal, especially since the engine had not run for 2 years. Drive it normally for a while and check for leaks. It should be easy to spot the source of the leak since you've steam cleaned the engine.
Gil
2010 CRM SC652
Autoxtraz

Post by Autoxtraz »

Thanks for reply. Will check tomorrow after its dried off and had a run - are the small blocks prone to crank seal failure?
gils4sea
8-PSI
8-PSI

Post by gils4sea »

No. However, lack of use often increases the likelihood of seals leaking.
Gil
2010 CRM SC652
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

Autotrax,

There is one one possible cuplrit which if it is the cause would be much simpler to fix. I don't know about the early Callaway's but it was certainly applicable to the '91s... there is an oil/air separator. It is a black rectangular box which I have highlighted in the picture below.
Top Engine 2.jpg
Top Engine 2.jpg (239.42 KiB) Viewed 11860 times
When they go bad, oil can escape it in a mist which will coat the front of the engine. Check for that. Also since these cars are now effectively 25 years old, it is highly advisable to replace turbo oil and coolant lines to avoid any mishap of a rupture under stress. Age and heat takes a toll on the hoses.

One interesting thing to note for those who may be new to these cars, Callaway converted a pully into a secondary oil pump. You can clearly see the pump in the picture below. As a result of this, the belts on these cars are custom and hence they can only be sourced at Callaway and not an your local Chevrolet or parts supplier.
PICT0194.JPG
Good Luck,

Luigi
:cool
http://www.tv4autos.com
1956 Ford Thunderbird tricked out!
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
Autoxtraz

Re: HELP - oil everywhere! Conclusion

Post by Autoxtraz »

Finally got around to jacking up the PIA, it's the power steering pump thats leaking all over drive belts and back on to the tranny/motor! Someone has filled it with a black type ATF lube - so was difficult to trace until jacked up.
i10fwy
11-PSI
11-PSI

Post by i10fwy »

You dodged a bullet there my friend, :beer

i10fwy
87-070
i10fwy
87-070