Bad Saturday

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
i10fwy
11-PSI
11-PSI

Bad Saturday

Post by i10fwy »

Was going to meet Jon at the Pavillions Cruise-in to take a look at his new ride B2K #2 :cool .
Got 87-070 out and took her up to the spa for a good fluff & buff, looked like a million bucks. Headed for Scottsdale. Thats when it got bad. I found myself in the middle of a Hoboob! For those of you that have not seen one our famous Haboob's it's like a giant sandblaster coming at you.

Hey, what do ya know, a message from Jon. Change of plans - no @hit!. :help Now that my car looks like a dirty old piece of plastic I saw daylight to the west. 1st stop light I noticed smoke coming from under the car. I shrugged it off as maybe more dirt? so I hit the entrance ramp to the 51 fwy and spooled her up. That apparently was a mistake. I looked like a fighter plane with a giant contrail behind me. OH Crap!

I guess 87-070 blew a line, pressures & temps are all ok! :wtf Guess 87-070 get to go see her good friend Darrell at BDS Performance.

I headed home and this is what I found in the driveway. :frown
Haboob.JPG
Good thing I made a last minute decision to park my Roush on the far side of the driveway rather than just backing her out.! Man, What a crappy day!
i10fwy
87-070
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bad Saturday

Post by SurfnSun »

Dang that sucks!!
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Crap, I was afraid that was going to happen. Man, I am really sorry Chris. I tried to find a phone number to call you, but the one listed is not in service. I should have gotten yours when we set up the meet.

The storm came out of nowhere and blew up in about an hour. I hope 87-070 isn't hurt too bad...
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
i10fwy
11-PSI
11-PSI

Post by i10fwy »

Looked on the garage floor this morning, a pool of oil about 6" dia. not much. On the rt rear of engine by the turbo and where the lines go into the scavange block. Don't know much mechanically but I'm thinking that because temps and pressures were all ok it must be confined to the turbo system and since I left a smoke trail out of the exhaust it may be a turbo. That does not sound good.

Everything in that area under the car is wet with oil. I guess I won't have a rust problem :wtf
Any ideas

My wife would have killed me if my basketball hoop ended up on her car! As Maxwell Smart would have said "missed it by that much"

All she said when she got home was, "Why does the garage stink like burnt oil?"

:joker

No problem Jon, I should have know better.
i10fwy
87-070
i10fwy
11-PSI
11-PSI

Post by i10fwy »

Here is a pic from this mornings paper of the Haboob I got caught in the middle of. :frown
Storm.jpg
Storm.jpg (138.12 KiB) Viewed 11670 times
i10fwy
87-070
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

i10fwy wrote:Looked on the garage floor this morning, a pool of oil about 6" dia. not much. On the rt rear of engine by the turbo and where the lines go into the scavange block. Don't know much mechanically but I'm thinking that because temps and pressures were all ok it must be confined to the turbo system and since I left a smoke trail out of the exhaust it may be a turbo. That does not sound good.

Everything in that area under the car is wet with oil. I guess I won't have a rust problem :wtf
Any ideas
I wouldn't think disaster just yet. Your pressures will stay high until your run out of oil, so that isn't really a signifier of anything.

I would clean all of the oil off the underside of the car/block/turbos etc, lift it so you can slide under, and then give it a start and look for a leak. I think if you lost a seal or bearing the oil will come out the exhaust pipe or leak around the center of the turbo. Since the bottom side of the car is wet, hopefully its just an oil line.

Good luck
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

i10fwy wrote:Here is a pic from this mornings paper of the Haboob I got caught in the middle of. :frown
Storm.jpg
Looks like something out of a movie!
i10fwy
11-PSI
11-PSI

Post by i10fwy »

This is the strangest thing I have ever seen, as Surf suggested I rolled her out on the driveway and sprayed her off real good got under her and found a HOCKEY PUCK!, :wtf no crap areal hockey puck wedged by the turbo about 2/3 of it was melted away and it fell on the ground when I touched it.

Apparently, I must have ran over it and it shot up in just the right spot and loosened a hose. :haha

i10fwy
87-070
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

Oh, hockey puck!!!
It sounds like a trip!
:beer
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

i10fwy wrote:This is the strangest thing I have ever seen, as Surf suggested I rolled her out on the driveway and sprayed her off real good got under her and found a HOCKEY PUCK!, :wtf no crap areal hockey puck wedged by the turbo about 2/3 of it was melted away and it fell on the ground when I touched it.

Apparently, I must have ran over it and it shot up in just the right spot and loosened a hose. :haha

I think you just won the prize for the most random ailment ever known to afflict a b2k! :-Laugh
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

That storm picture is really looking bizar.
Callaway Owners Group : Division Europe
Callaway C1 project registry member
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Jeroenvgfn wrote:That storm picture is really looking bizar.
You get used to it. It's been an almost weekly occurence for us this fall. :help

What I don't understand is why we get so little warning. You would think someone would notice a mile-high wall of dust heading toward the city...
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less