Spare Parts?

Any Discussion not applicable to the other Forums. Jokes & humor, or anything off topic, not related to Callaway vehicle discussions.
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Spare Parts?

Post by Luigi »

OK, So with the Twin Turbo cars in their adulthood, I am curious. What spare parts do you have on hand? What do you recommend?
C4 parts seem to be thinning out.

I have more PF-25 oil filters (the good ones) than I will ever need (50+)
A complete Bose system: Head Unit, CDM, amps (all 4)
Windshield washer pump
Plugs
Head Lamp motor rebuild kit (for when it gets the lazy eye)
bulbs
Stainless Steel Brake Lines :jsmile

Callaway stuff:
Serpentine Belt
Turbo Hoses
Heatshield
Decals
Floor Mats
Dymags

I am sure I have more stuff but I am too lazy to go to the Garage and dig through parts since I have 10X more stuff for the old '56 T-Bird.
-Luigi
:cool
http://www.tv4autos.com
1956 Ford Thunderbird tricked out!
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
kingforward
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: Spare Parts?

Post by kingforward »

Good post Luigi....what is the most important parts for the CTTCs to own 10-15 years from now that you wish you stocked away today?

What's with all the oil filters? and where can you buy them?

Chris, what is your take on this subject?
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

I'll go into this thread a bit mre over time - for now, let's talk oil filters...

On 1987 and 1988 Callaways, a Fram filter was used.

On 1989 - 1991 Callaways, a Champion filter was used.

You cannot find either in the "correct" finishes anymore. You can't find the PF25 filters, either. I believe the PF25 now has another Delco filter that replaces it... I would be fine with using that one for "daily" use...
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

This is what I know, please correct me if I am wrong.

The "Delco PF-25" black filter was what came with these cars from GM and the NCRS correct one to have, at least for a stock Corvette. In the aftermarket, these were blue, the real early one from the 60's were white.

The reasons to have them:
1. They are larger than the current replacement thus hold more oil.
2. They were known to have the best anti-drain valve in them to keep them full after you shut off your engine (oil pressure = 0). When you start your engine there was more oil available to lubricate pistons in miniscule time it takes to build oild pressure and thought to provide less wear of pistons.
3. Since neither colored PF-25's are made, NCRS will accept a well black painted blue PF-25 (not that I care because about NCRS because of the Aerobody and other Callaway mods).

-Luigi

BTW, I did the same when I owed my GNX's with PF-47 oil filters and I had a few dozen which I sold off after selling my GNX's. The PF-47's had the same anti-drain valve.
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Luigi wrote:This is what I know, please correct me if I am wrong.

The "Delco PF-25" black filter was what came with these cars from GM and the NCRS correct one to have, at least for a stock Corvette. In the aftermarket, these were blue, the real early one from the 60's were white.

No, Delco filters are not correct for any judging with a Callaway
Luigi wrote: The reasons to have them:
1. They are larger than the current replacement thus hold more oil.
2. They were known to have the best anti-drain valve in them to keep them full after you shut off your engine (oil pressure = 0). When you start your engine there was more oil available to lubricate pistons in miniscule time it takes to build oild pressure and thought to provide less wear of pistons.
3. Since neither colored PF-25's are made, NCRS will accept a well black painted blue PF-25 (not that I care because about NCRS because of the Aerobody and other Callaway mods).

-Luigi

BTW, I did the same when I owed my GNX's with PF-47 oil filters and I had a few dozen which I sold off after selling my GNX's. The PF-47's had the same anti-drain valve.
You can get a larger capacity filter cross-referenced from the Delco catalog... Just not a PF25 ;)
Dakota Aero
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Dakota Aero »

Chris and Luigi:

I am definitely interested in your further thoughts on this topic and will be paying attention as I am a long way from support. Thanks to you for the start on this.

One comment, it is easy to see neat items for sale in after market catalogs but I assume that a person should stay away from those if you want to stay "true blue"?

Dakota
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

BTW...

Just a reminder to everyone with a CTTC, that the Serpentine Belt is not a stock size, you just can't go to your local autoparts store and expect any to fit. They are Callaway length specific so I suggest this is probably the single most importpart spare part to have.

Also, a reminder that these cars are now about 20 years old. It might be a good thing to replace the rubber components (coolant and oil lines) if you haven't already, including the turbo coolant lines. You don't want one of these to be brittle and crack from age and leave you stranded somewhere. Not easy to replace either. Remember that our Turbos are both Oil and Coolant cooled, where as most other turbo cars are just oil cooled.

Food for thought!

-Luigi
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16