Bose Repair or Aftermarket

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Bose Repair or Aftermarket

Post by TN Aero »

I saw the thread in the off topic section - BOSE Blows, but no one addressed switching to an aftermarket system. I believe all 4 speaker amps are out as I have no sound but popping and cracking from all speakers with noise levels changing as I change the volume. Given the car has sat for greater than 10 yrs before I brought her back, I doubt it is the head unit but possible. I am considering removing the complete system and replacing with aftermarket. The other choice is to send all of the speaker amps out for repair. Trying to weigh keeping original with all of its issues and moving to new with better sound and updated interfaces. If I stick with the BOSE I will probably send the head unit out to ensure it is OK and have them add an input for a IPhone. I saw that CarStereoRemoval near Orlando advertises doing this and guarantees the amps. Anyone try them or have this done or recommend someone else? What do I lose if I go modern? I know its not original but I am not trying to win car shows though I want to show it.

Thanks for any and all input.
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bose Repair or Aftermarket

Post by SurfnSun »

I’d get the Bose repaired and have them add an audio jack port to the cassette door. Dr don’s can do the work.
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by TN Aero »

Thanks, I am leaning that way. I had not come across Dr Don's in my searches, thanks for point me that way. Have you used them?
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

I personally have not, but know many who have. They have been a go to for corvette forum for many years.
Bmakaz
2-PSI
2-PSI

Post by Bmakaz »

If you are looking at the C4 the amplifiers can be found on ebay and they are easy to replace.
Bmakaz
2-PSI
2-PSI

Post by Bmakaz »

Also what year as the brains of the unit is either under the passenger side which is a nightmare t deal with or in the storage compartment behind the passenger side seat which is in the later c4's
jpetrol251
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by jpetrol251 »

I just picked up #505 and i have the same problem. The front 2 speakers are out and the back ones sound very bad. I found these boards in the back storage bin. are these the amps[
Attachments
20190203_114100.jpg
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by TN Aero »

BMakaza - Mine is an 89 so an earlier Bose. Which "brains" do you speak of?

jpetrol251 - those images sure look like amps. I have not had time to get in and remove mine though so I can't tell you for sure.
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

you might take a hard look at this one.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/prod ... 9Hdc_Cp88M
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by TN Aero »

Thanks SurfNSun - those look like a great option, especially if you have the non-Bose system. I am going to try to get the originals working correctly with an input added for a headphone jack. I appreciate the idea though.