Tech: How to replace a battery in a 1987-1996 Callaway Corvette:

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Stock body or AeroBody, it's largely the same with only very slight differences from year to year. Skill level 1 out of 5.
If unsure of anything, consult factory service manual. Use directions at your own risk. Not responsible for your skills, or your car/condition, etc.

1. Remove/disconnect battery cables (8mm battery wrench is used)
2. Remove 4 Torx fasteners from inside fender well (from top at rubber lip gasket area, down) The Torx heads may be 2 different sizes.
(might be easier if front wheel is turned to allow full access).
3. Remove 10mm bolt (sometimes hidden by foam weatherstrip) near firewall, on top of side panel near door hinge area.
4. Remove battery hold down bolt and remove, along with wedge hold down.
5. GENTLY pull back on side panel - CAREFUL not to crack or warp panel.
6. Slide battery out from tray.
7. Reverse steps to install.
TN Aero
4-PSI
4-PSI

Re: Tech: How to replace a battery in a 1987-1996 Callaway Corvette:

Post by TN Aero »

I don't know if you are implying to bend the side panel or take it off, but I would remove the two (2 for sure possibly 3) fasteners on the underside of the side panel (not sure of the type it has been a while) and remove the side panel. It makes it much easier to access and less risk of cracking through bending. These fasteners are on the AeroBody side panel, I suspect these fasteners are on the non AeroBody as well.
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: Tech: How to replace a battery in a 1987-1996 Callaway Corvette:

Post by Callaway Chris »

I am saying, I have gently "flexed" the panel in the manner for 30 years on C4 Corvettes. No issues in my experiences. Your mileage may vary. If you are more comfortable removing all bolts, that's fine, too. :hi