Upgrades for a 2011 SC606

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
C6Darin

Upgrades for a 2011 SC606

Post by C6Darin »

Hi all, I am a newbie and would like to introduce myself and say thank you to the creators for starting such unique group of car enthusiasts. My name is Darin and I have recently purchased a 2011 Grand Sport Convertible, this is the second corvette I have owned. My first corvette was a 2007 Z51 Convertible, it was a beautiful car which brought me many great memories but after 11 years of ownership I was at the point where I wanted to step it up and get something with a little more power. I personally think the C6 generation corvette is one of better bodies out of all of them and on that note I decided to look into Callaway and preferably the SC606. I finally found one and had to have it, it is a totally different ride that my '07. Don't get me wrong, my '07 had LG LT, magnaflow exhaust, K&N CAI and a tune, it had a little pep in its step and had such a great rumble to it but I felt it was like ever other corvette out there. That is why I wanted something a little more rare and unique...ie Callaway Corvette.

Now that I have introduced myself, I know most corvette forums have a lot of knowledgeable owners and enthusiasts but I thought who better to ask for some help than the Callaway Owners Group. I just had a few questions which I hope some of you can help me out or lead me in the right direction. I would love to add some hp but do not want to chop the already well made vehicle up into pieces. I really want to keep it looking stock, keep the DD exhaust tips, wheels, etc but I would like it to sound more aggressive possible exhaust? header? tune? pulley? what has everyone done for performance upgrades?

I appreciate any guidance here...thank you
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upgrades for a 2011 SC606

Post by SurfnSun »

Welcome to the forum!

The upgrade of a Callaway is an interesting thing. You’ll find that most Callaway buyers want the car as it left the Callaway shop...Mostly for reliability reasons. However, there are many that have been further modified. Headers, smaller pulley, and ported heads are a good place to look. Of course the car will need to be retuned after that. Do a YouTube search for SC606 dyno and you’ll find a few. There is also an SC652 video of a Z06 that was further modified by Vengeance in GA.

Good luck!
C6Darin

Post by C6Darin »

Thank you,

I have read people doing headers, exhaust and a smaller pulley, Im kinda leading that way. I really appreciate response!
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

C6Darin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:22 am Thank you,

I have read people doing headers, exhaust and a smaller pulley, Im kinda leading that way. I really appreciate response!
Smaller pulley will increase air and you will need to increase fuel to prevent Donation!
:cry2
Robin
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by Robin »

I can tell you what I have done.
Long tube headers attached to the Callaway exhaust.
A better air filter.
A street tune done by a very knowledgeable tuner.
We did a little adjust ment to the shifter program also.
I was told that if I wanted to go with the slightly smaller pulley,which I did order and have, after the above work. I would have to do the following;
Increase size of injectors and pump more fuel. Apparently the boost a pump is just not quite enough.
I did a safe tune at 87 octane as I am worried about a certain family member not using premium to save a couple bucks.
I am happy with the car the way it is now. I do not feel that adding anymore is a good move for me. We had to take tq out to keep the car going straight.if I remember just in second (maybe).
The tuner is the key here. I alway do road tunes.
Hope this helps.
If u r around Florida I am happy to let you drive mine.
Robin
C6Darin

Post by C6Darin »

Robin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:32 pm I can tell you what I have done.
A better air filter.
I was told that if I wanted to go with the slightly smaller pulley,which I did order and have, after the above work. I would have to do the following;
Increase size of injectors and pump more fuel. Apparently the boost a pump is just not quite enough.
I did a safe tune at 87 octane as I am worried about a certain family member not using premium to save a couple bucks.
I am happy with the car the way it is now. I do not feel that adding anymore is a good move for me. We had to take tq out to keep the car going straight.if I remember just in second (maybe).
Hope this helps.
Robin
I appreciate the info!

what kind of power gains have you seen with LT and tune? Im leaning towards just a smaller pulley maybe a 3.4 or 3.2 and a tune. Any idea what kind of gains I would be get?
C6Darin

Post by C6Darin »

C6Darin wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:08 am
Robin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:32 pm I can tell you what I have done.
A better air filter.
Hope this helps.
Robin
I appreciate the info!

what kind of power gains have you seen with LT and tune? Im leaning towards just a smaller pulley maybe a 3.4 or 3.2 and a tune. Any idea what kind of gains I would be get?
And no, unfortunately I am not in the Florida area :cool . Im in Toronto
Robin
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by Robin »

The way I did it put me at or near 650. That is what the tuners computer put it at. I have not dyno tuned the car.
The difference is huge. Seat of the pants told me it was enough. It still is enough for me. Having to pull tq to keep the car going straight is enough for me. My thoughts were to hold on to the pulley just in case. If you go the pull route I will make you a deal on mine. Mine is a paddle shifter and first is useless. I believe Callaway even recommends that. A stick is going to be different accelerating from a stop.
Again I do not think the boost a pump can supply enough fuel and the injectors would need to be increased. However, that is adding a smaller pulley to what I have already done.going the way you are thinking I don’t know.
Lots of stuff on the corvette forum to read.
Do you remember Fentons Restaurant? It was wonderful.
Robin
:beer