C4 Headliner Oddity

Any Discussion not applicable to the other Forums. Jokes & humor, or anything off topic, not related to Callaway vehicle discussions.
Dakota Aero
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

C4 Headliner Oddity

Post by Dakota Aero »

I just replaced the original headliner on 90-024. Performance One makes a great product. In cleaning up the top for application, I found an odd number sequence written in green underneath the insulation on the inside of the top.. "12 -5" with " 8 B" below it.

Anyone know what that might signify? Inspection date? Inspector identification? Color of top? It was red and is now candy apple red.

Just curious!
DA
headliner removed.jpg
headliner removed.jpg (35.23 KiB) Viewed 10345 times
100_5960.jpg
100_5960.jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 10345 times
new headliner.jpg
new headliner.jpg (27.97 KiB) Viewed 10345 times
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C4 Headliner Oddity

Post by SurfnSun »

I have no idea.

who knows? :wtf
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Assuming it was put there by GM, some kind of production code, most likely. I'd look at your VIN, build date, and/or build sheet for clues that may tie it to the car. They may tie to the build date of the car (or, more likely, they would precede the build date of the car IF you can decipher the codes), or maybe a job number that would match the top to the car on the assembly line. You may also find similar numbers elsewhere on the car if they are related to the job number. On the other hand, could be completely unrelated if Chevrolet outsourced the roof panel assembly to a 3rd party - I don't know if they did that in house or not.

The NCRS is a pretty good source of this info. The 'Technical Information and Judging Guide' does a pretty good job on the stock components and numbers - just don't spend alot of time on the Callaway portions of the manual. I can pull mine out this weekend and look to see if there are any mentions of similar numbers, if you like.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Dakota Aero
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Dakota Aero »

Jon:

Looked at BS....it was invoiced 12-15-89 so that might be right

12-5 = December 5? 12 -5

8 for 89? B for B2k? 8 B

Doesn't seem to make sense. Not related to VIN or anything else I could see on the paperwork.

DA
kingforward
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by kingforward »

the "8" is so perfect it looks alien!
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Dakota Aero wrote:Jon:

12-5 = December 5? 12 -5

8 for 89? B for B2k? 8 B

Doesn't seem to make sense. Not related to VIN or anything else I could see on the paperwork.

DA
12-5 could be a build date, however I am guessing not. That would have been written on the roof panel before the headliner was installed, and it seems like that assembly would have happened more than 10 days before the car was invoiced.

I pulled out the NCRS manual, and it doesn't say anything about codes under the headliner. There is also very little about build dates or job numbers that I can find. Job numbers were sequential numbers that started at '1' for the first car of the year, '2' for the second car, and so on up to some 3 digit number (100 or 500, if I recall correctly) and then the sequence restarted again. This was generally how they connected sub-assemblies to cars on the production line for the early cars. I don't really know if that practice continued into the '90s or not. That said, those numbers don't look like job numbers either.

The color code for red was '81', but that doesn't match with the '8B' you see.

Dates are often julian, but these don't look like julian dates either. Also, as I mentioned before, the numbers could have been put there by a separate company, if GM sub-contracted the roof panel assembly.

Sorry, but I guess this is a long way of saying I have no idea what the numbers mean after all. :wtf
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

jonstr wrote:
Dakota Aero wrote:Jon:

12-5 = December 5? 12 -5

8 for 89? B for B2k? 8 B

DA
12-5 could be a build date, however I am guessing not. That would have been written on the roof panel before the headliner was installed, and it seems like that assembly would have happened more than 10 days before the car was invoiced.

I pulled out the NCRS manual, and it doesn't say anything about codes under the headliner. There is also very little about build dates or job numbers that I can find. Job numbers were sequential numbers that started at '1' for the first car of the year, '2' for the second car, and so on up to some 3 digit number (100 or 500, if I recall correctly) and then the sequence restarted again. This was generally how they connected sub-assemblies to cars on the production line for the early cars. I don't really know if that practice continued into the '90s or not. That said, those numbers don't look like job numbers either.

The color code for red was '81', but that doesn't match with the '8B' you see.

Dates are often julian, but these don't look like julian dates either. Also, as I mentioned before, the numbers could have been put there by a separate company, if GM sub-contracted the roof panel assembly.

Sorry, but I guess this is a long way of saying I have no idea what the numbers mean after all. :wtf

I'm with Jonstr - Roof panels are generally made or assembled by a contractor.
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

When I replaced the headliner in my 86 coupe

I found writings in yellow. never knew what they ment.
but this sounds good.
Callaway Owners Group : Division Europe
Callaway C1 project registry member