Microfuel Controller Options for the 1987-1991 B2K: What is out there? What do you use?

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Microfuel Controller Options for the 1987-1991 B2K: What is out there? What do you use?

Post by *89x2* »

A few have dabbled into more modern aux injector controllers. Have you? What are your results? :wtf

Figure a thread on the subject might be good from a B2K Support position :beer

I think BoostedMaxPSI and ATS in Texas are two who come to mind... Others?
undercover
7-PSI
7-PSI

Re: Microfuel Controller Options for the 1987-1991 B2K: What is out there? What do you use?

Post by undercover »

I've gone back and forth on this over the years. Originally, I bought a digital replacement for the microfueller and have it on ebay now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Fueller- ... SwsltgOaue

pros - plug and play, precise digital mapping, keeps the look of the additional injectors, cheap solution
cons - still a piggyback system, doesn't control spark in boost

Then I came to the conclusion that it's better to just run everything from the main ECU. Fueling and spark in boost will be more precise. There are two solutions for this:

1) The blowerworks MAF (http://blowerworks.net/sensor.html: this uses a modern blade-style MAF with a new bin to handle the change and remove the airflow calc limitations in the stock bin.

pros - simple installation, just one wire gets moved in the ECU connector, accurately calculates fueling for whatever air the turbos throw at it, everything else remains stock (easily reversible)
cons - lose the look of the additional injectors (or leave them in but disconnected), a little pricey for what you get, have to buy larger main injectors, too, and some of the factory tune clunkiness/limitations remain.

2) The dynamicEFI EBL Flash (http://dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php): you replace your stock ECU with a modified GM ECU and convert to speed density in the process.

pros - designed with boost in mind (2 or 3-bar MAP sensor), retains the factory dash functions (trip display), full control of fuel and spark up to high RPM (8k), added analog/digital inputs for things like fuel pressure, WB o2 sensor, etc., can do VE learn off your wideband o2.
cons - requires repinning of about 6 wires in the ECU connector and plumbing in a MAP sensor under the hood, have to buy larger main injectors as well, also lose the look of the rams horn injectors unless you leave them in as dummies.

These two solutions are only for the '87-'89 MAF cars. There are solutions to the '90-'91 speed density cars, but I don't think there's one that allows you to keep the dash/trip functions working (the microfueler replacements obviously do).

I'm running the EBL Flash system in my Guldstrand Grand Sport 80 car, and it's very slick. The tunability and what's up display are awesome. I plan to follow suit with the B2K when I have the time.
1987 CTTC conv #147
1987 Guldstrand/Traco Grand Sport 80 #18
Block Tester
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: Microfuel Controller Options for the 1987-1991 B2K: What is out there? What do you use?

Post by *89x2* »

Very cool. Please post your results of how this works out, as I have come to understand the Microfueler is not a viable part for rebuilds at this time.

Let's keep the options open :thumbs Thanks
sjandras
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by sjandras »

undercover wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:47 pm
I'm running the EBL Flash system in my Guldstrand Grand Sport 80 car, and it's very slick. The tunability and what's up display are awesome. I plan to follow suit with the B2K when I have the time.
Hello, have you gotten around to trying the EBL Flash system on your B2K? I've been reading up on this and am very intrigued.

Thanks!
undercover
7-PSI
7-PSI

Post by undercover »

I haven't had time to install it in the Callaway yet, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work equally as well - just need a 2-bar MAP sensor instead of 1-bar. I'm not sure what year yours is, but the one thing that might be wonky is the 4+3 overdrive transmission if you have that. My Guldstrand car has the ZF6 even though it's an '87.

The EBL can control the OD function, but you'd lose the manual on/off function of the shifter button. What I mean by that is you set the parameters of OD-engagement in the EBL system, but it's based on gear, throttle position, and load, IIRC. So, you'd set it to engage in the higher gears at lower (cruise) throttle inputs and disengage under heavy throttle application (basically like an automatic kick-down).
1987 CTTC conv #147
Block Tester
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

I recently send SDS an email about their AIC and never got a response :(
sjandras
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by sjandras »

I ordered a Moates ALDL harness so I can monitor some parameters and may still try the EBL solution. I reached out to him as well and he expects to have modules available again in April.

Also looking a wideband sensors to install for tuning. Trying to relive my years as an engine calibrator at GM! :thumb1 The car is running ok, but I still have a rough warm-up - something is not quite 100% and data will help pinpoint it.

Not the cause of the warm-up issue, but I have checked my miceofueler by applying boost signal with hand held pump at idle and it went rich. It actually idled better when the microfueler was forced to add fuel, so I expect I'm lean at idle for some reason.
undercover
7-PSI
7-PSI

Post by undercover »

Forgot to mention that the injectors need to be changed out if going with EBL or Blowerworks MAF setup since the 8 main injectors have to be capable of supplying all the fuel after you lose the two auxiliary injectors. That's why I haven't converted the Callaway to EBL yet as changing the injectors out on TPI is a bit of a hassle. I've got a set of Siemens 60#'ers ready to go in.

I highly recommend the wideband o2 sensor as well like you're planning - amazing tools for tuning and diagnosing that just weren't readily available 20 or so years ago. It's amazing how much more dialed-in you can make the car and how fairly small changes in AF ratio have quite an impact.

Regarding your poor idle, chances are you have a vacuum/boost leak. Most unsorted B2K's do, and that's why they can run like crap and owners get frustrated and sell them. It doesn't take much of one to really throw things off. Check the accordion hoses that run from the wonderbar to the turbo inlets. These have a habit of decaying and developing small holes - usually on top where you can't see them! Sometimes, you can get a mirror up there to inspect without having to take them off. These won't affect the idle as much since they're in front of the throttle plate, but holes in them do let some unmetered air in at idle that the MAF doesn't see. Could also be some of the standard vac lines under the plenum as they're old and get pretty cooked, too. A smoke tester is great for pinpointing these types of leaks without taking everything apart.

Also, if you have the Gm/multec injectors (can't remember if those started in '88 or '89), measure the ohms across the coils with them warm - all should be 15+ ohms. They have a habit of shorting out with today's ethanol fuels and can cause a rough idle/lean condition as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
1987 CTTC conv #147
Block Tester