What do you think of this ad?

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
closingtime

Re: What do you think of this ad?

Post by closingtime »

*89x2* wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:59 pm I've updated the thread and hopefully it'll stay more of a general question about history vs. the car :hi
Thanks for the update! :cool
closingtime

Post by closingtime »

*89x2* wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:08 pm
closingtime wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:54 am Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I've spoken with Reeves in person about the Sledgehammer and he didn't say anything to the contrary. I also have the Vette magazine from '89 with the article written by a writer that reported from the track when the car set the speed record. Both Callaway and LPE have "made it" and it's water under the bridge 33 years later.

The Hot Rod article you posted is an interesting one, but there's more to the story than what was written there. I've spoken with Reeves about the Sledgehammer, and other key employees who worked on the program, and all said the same thing: It was a Callaway Engine in the Sledgehammer.

At any rate, here's what I shared on the subject in 2008
*89x2* wrote:What an amazing C4 Back in late Oct. 1988, the record was set - 254.76mph!!!

While searching the "archives" I discovered something said by another person who was there during the era - This confirms (again) all I know about the car and the project.

Pretty cool stuff - The debate just keeps it in the limelight, right?
Just like many here, I have seen the debate over who build the Sledgehammer engine rage on for two-decades...

I have asked those involved at Callaway who built the engine and it all comes back to a Callaway Cars engine being, "the one"

Reeves was quoted as saying so in an interview and later, John Lingenfelter's rebuttal did nothing to correct that if needed... Interestingly enough, the foggy rebuttal now serves as JL's final word onthe mater, as posted on the LPE website

I found this quote by "turboboy" who worked at Callaway Cars during the era.
turboboy wrote:JL did indeed build the motor in the Sledgehammer.....but do you know the rest of the story???? When we got the engine back to Callaway, it was dynoed extensively, and REBUILT using our specs. The dyno book on that engine was as thick as a phone book. Trust me when tell you that it was not the same motor as recieved from JL when it finaly went into the car.
(I have seen the books, they are for real )

Here are the Tom Benford interview quotes from Vette:
T: Will Lingenfelter Performance Engineering be providing engines for the Callaway C5s as they did for the Sledgehammer’s historic 254+ m.p.h. run?

R: You know, I don’t know where that rumor came from. Perhaps now is the time to correct it and put the whole issue to rest. We contracted Lingenfelter to build a couple of short blocks to save us some time, which we turbocharged, but they didn’t survive our dyno testing, so they were never used in the Sledgehammer. That record was set with a Callaway-built engine, although John (Lingenfelter) drove the car to set the record, since we had a very busy schedule in Europe creating Aston Martin’s Group C effort at that time. So it’s appropriate to congratulate Callaway for building the car, and John Lingenfelter for driving it to its record speed. That’s the way it was.
...and the follow-up interview:
T: Your corporate website states that Lingenfelter Performance Engineering built the 1,200 HP engine that powered the Callaway Sledgehammer, but Reeves Callaway said your engine wasn’t the one used in the car on its over-254 mph run. Would you care to provide a rebuttal?

J: Well, the only thing I’d say is that the people that were there and the people that were involved know the real answers and what the truth is. That will suffice for me.

So there's the real story :cool

Reeves' cars were on my wall and inside my book bag when I was growing up and I'm fortunate enough to have an AeroBody convertible. Either way, 2 of the best American car builders got together for an epic project and broke the world speed record...and then drove it home. It will never be done again. My ownership experience has been a dream come true.
closingtime

Post by closingtime »

BIGJOHN wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:03 pm People will believe what they want to believe!
John was a great person, engine builder and driver!
Agreed on all points! I have never driven a B2K car, but the previous owner of my car has and said that this car is faster. What's the driving experience like with the TT motor?
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

There are many variations of B2k performance.

My B2k made at the wheels what yours does at the crank...440/575 However an 87 B2k was about 300rwhp. Too wide of a gap to generally compare across the board.

However the torque thrust is very similar to taking off in a jet but more so. It’s a very addictive feeling.
closingtime

Post by closingtime »

SurfnSun wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:21 pm There are many variations of B2k performance.

My B2k made at the wheels what yours does at the crank...440/575 However an 87 B2k was about 300rwhp. Too wide of a gap to generally compare across the board.

However the torque thrust is very similar to taking off in a jet but more so. It’s a very addictive feeling.
Wow, that's huge power for the late 80's into 91. The previous owner was comparing his car to his friend's 90/91 AeroBody B2K.
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

That 90-91 would be at the same performance level has mine with a simple exhaust swap. Turbo cars are on another level once you tinker with them the slightest amount. I picked up 40rwhp by going dual exhaust.
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

Having owned a car w/ an LPE 383 and also a couple of Callaway Corvettes, the Callaway's are more refined, and feel more drivable.

The LPE 383 was a bit more of a hot rod, but with the headers and big lift cam, it was loud, obnoxious (compared to the turbo cars) and crude. But fun! :thumbs I put over 50k mi. on the car/engine. Never an issue/problem outside of plug wires from those headers :frown