Tough day at Turbo Ranch

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Tough day at Turbo Ranch

Post by jonstr »

Hotter than heck here today (114 degrees), and the CTTC doesnt' like hot weather much when you're driving in-town. But, I had to drive across town today and it was highway almost all the way, so I figured it'd take the yellow car out. Bad idea. I got about 9/10s of the way to my destination when the radio quit playing, then the A/C and blower shut down, followed closely by all my gauges. I thought I was completely hosed until I rolled the window down and found it was rolling really slow and I decided I was just a little bit hosed - I think my alternator failed and I was driving on the battery. However, the car was still running, so I turned it around and high-tailed it back toward home.

I only made it about 2/3s of the way before the battery gave out, stranding me on the side of the highway. Feeling pretty embarrassed, especially when the flatbed arrived (about an hour later) until the driver told me that the last car he towed was the local Bugatti Veyron - so that made me feel a little bit better. After sitting for a while, the battery rebounded a little and the gauges came back on, windows rolled, etc., and with a jump start I was able to avoid the indignity of the winch and drive it on the flatbed so I'm still pretty sure it's the alternator. I did have some fun on the way back letting the Veyron-impressed flat bed driver (super nice guy, by the way) know that the Sledgehammer went faster back in 1988, so now maybe he's a little bit more Callaway-impressed. :haha

Just got the car home about an hour ago, so I'll pull the alternator later this week and get it tested. This was not exactly the way I planned to spend my afternoon...
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tough day at Turbo Ranch

Post by SurfnSun »

Yea that sucks. I think if you review threads at our old forum you'll see most of us replaced our alternators at some point. In the 9 years I had my daily driver 85 L98 I think I put 3 or 4 alternators on it. You can get a lifetime warranted unit from Autozone for 125. It won't last but at least you can take it back and get a free one. :jsmile

Its not a terribly tough job, some have a hard time getting the belt back on once the alternator is installed. If you have problems just leave the outside bolt off until you put the belt on and then pivot the alternator to the outside with a breakover bar and stick the bolt in to keep it in place. :thumbs

The ownership and COG experience has been invaluable for gaining knowledge about these special cars. When I score my next b2k, I will immediately change the battery, alternator, injectors, belt, and.........add a big wonder bar and exhaust(if not already equipped) :-thumb :-thumb
CalJim
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by CalJim »

SurfnSun wrote:Yea that sucks. I think if you review threads at our old forum you'll see most of us replaced our alternators at some point. In the 9 years I had my daily driver 85 L98 I think I put 3 or 4 alternators on it. You can get a lifetime warranted unit from Autozone for 125. It won't last but at least you can take it back and get a free one. :jsmile

Its not a terribly tough job, some have a hard time getting the belt back on once the alternator is installed. If you have problems just leave the outside bolt off until you put the belt on and then pivot the alternator to the outside with a breakover bar and stick the bolt in to keep it in place. :thumbs

The ownership and COG experience has been invaluable for gaining knowledge about these special cars. When I score my next b2k, I will immediately change the battery, alternator, injectors, belt, and.........add a big wonder bar and exhaust(if not already equipped) :-thumb :-thumb
Surf,
I look forward to that day when you acquire your next b2k!!!
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

Jonstr,

That sucks but if it makes you feel any better I went through that last month. Took it out for a Sunday drive and the Battery symbol on the DIC came on = dead alternator. Luckily I made it home before the battery ran out.

I replaced it but it took 3X longer than I anticipated. Two of the bolts holding the alternator come right out but the lower screw that allows it to swing up/down would not clear coming out because of the Power Steering reservoir (just under the oil/air separator). Ironically, if the numb skulls at GM would have designed to bolt to fit from the rear vs from the front, there is nothing in the way to block it.

This happens on the 1991. I had to loosen the PS reservoir and nudge it far enough out of the way to get the bottom bolt out. The 15 minute alternator replacement turned into a 1.5 hr job. :afire
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG (95.02 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
-Luigi
:cool
http://www.tv4autos.com
1956 Ford Thunderbird tricked out!
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Luigi wrote:Jonstr,

That sucks but if it makes you feel any better I went through that last month. Took it out for a Sunday drive and the Battery symbol on the DIC came on = dead alternator. Luckily I made it home before the battery ran out.

I replaced it but it took 3X longer than I anticipated. Two of the bolts holding the alternator come right out but the lower screw that allows it to swing up/down would not clear coming out because of the Power Steering reservoir (just under the oil/air separator). Ironically, if the numb skulls at GM would have designed to bolt to fit from the rear vs from the front, there is nothing in the way to block it.

This happens on the 1991. I had to loosen the PS reservoir and nudge it far enough out of the way to get the bottom bolt out. The 15 minute alternator replacement turned into a 1.5 hr job. :afire

-Luigi
Thanks for the tip. It seems like nothing on C4s is ever as easy as it looks or should be.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Kruzmisl
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Kruzmisl »

Sorry for your hassles! GOD BLESS 89 #17, in 15 years, I've not had an issue, runs cool, I'm always amazed. OH wait, I think the bose is out, hehe
LIFTMAN
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by LIFTMAN »

JONSTR AT LEAST YOU DIDN'T BRAKE DOWN AT BLOOMINGTON LIKE I DID . THE HEAT WAS ONLY 95 DEGREES THERE BUT VERY HUMID.
ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WAS MY ALTERNATOR WHICH ONLY HAD 100 MILES ON THE REBUILD. AS A PRECAUTION I HAD IT LOAD TESTED BEFORE BLOOMINTON AND IT TESTED FINE. THE PROBLEM WITH BENCH TESTING IS THE ALTERNATOR DOES NOT GET HOT ENOUGH. I HAVE HAD THE ALTERNATOR IN AND OUT OF THE B2K AT LEAST 6 TIMES. IT IS VERY TIGHT BUT WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO REMOVE AND REINSTALL WITHOUT SOME OF THE PROBLEMS OTHERS HAVE . WE HAVE JUST REMOVED THE BOLTS SLID THE BELT OFF AND PUT TENSION ON THE BELT TENSIONER REINSTALLED THE SAME WAY.
THE ALTERNATOR WAS ONLY ONE OF THE PROBLEMS . WE CHANGED ALL 8 INJECTORS, THE O2 SENSOR FUEL FILTER AND CLEANED THE MAF SENSOR.
JOHN AT FIC IN ATLANTA WAS A GREAT HELP.HE GAVE ME A EDUCATION ON ETHANOL IN OUR GAS AND WHAT IT IS DOING TO OUR CARS.
89 #35 IS RUNNING GREAT NOW BUT I AM GETTING A INTERMITENT SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT. I HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO PUT IN ON THE SCANNER YET
THE B2K SAGA CONTINUES
MARK
Dakota Aero
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Dakota Aero »

Mark:

For one that has not had the problem, can you describe a little more the difference that you did ? what do you mean removed the bolts, all of them, all but one? That seemed to be the problem Luigi described as well as Jon. How do you leave tension on the tensioner? Bar?

I anticipate sometime, hope not soon, having to deal with this and am curious. Thanks.

DA
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

Mark,

I have seen earlier year cars and they may not have the same clearance problem that I am referring to on the 91 (possibly the 90) because of the redesign of the radiator in 1990. I'll try to find a close up picture of what I am referring about.

My issue was the lower mounting bolt of the alternator. It is the longest of the bolts. I slides about 80% off the mounting frame before hitting the Power Steering reservoir that is just under the oil/air separator.

I have also looked at a 1992 LT1 Corvette, and it too has room to work. The issue I describe seems to be applicable to 1991 (and possible 1990) Corvettes.

-Luigi
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
critt99
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by critt99 »

Same thing happend to me the first and only time I drove a CTTC....got to drive Mark D's mean green machine across Dallas and the alt quit. Still was cool! :beer
LIFTMAN
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by LIFTMAN »

TO REMOVE THE ALTERNATOR WE DID REMOVE ALL 3 BOLTS. THE PS RES. WAS NOT IN THE WAY. ALL WE DID WAS TO RELEASE THE TENSION ON THE TENSIONER WITH A LONG PRY BAR, AFTER REMOVING THE BOLTS AND SLIPPED THE BELT OFF THE END OF THE PULLEY. TO REINSTALL WE JUST REVERSED THE PROCESS . PUT THE ALTERNATOR IN FIRST WITH THE BOLTS.USE THE PRY BAR AND SQUEEZE THE BELT BACK ON THE PULLEY.

PS I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE AND IT LOOKS LIKE I AM GETTING ANOTHER B2K. IT IS A 87
ORIGINAL OWNER CAR.THE 87 IS A COUPE TO JOIN MY 89 CONVERTIBLE
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Congrats on the new car!
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Callaway Chris wrote:Congrats on the new car!
i agree! Congrats :beer
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

LIFTMAN wrote:TO REMOVE THE ALTERNATOR WE DID REMOVE ALL 3 BOLTS. THE PS RES. WAS NOT IN THE WAY. ALL WE DID WAS TO RELEASE THE TENSION ON THE TENSIONER WITH A LONG PRY BAR, AFTER REMOVING THE BOLTS AND SLIPPED THE BELT OFF THE END OF THE PULLEY. TO REINSTALL WE JUST REVERSED THE PROCESS . PUT THE ALTERNATOR IN FIRST WITH THE BOLTS.USE THE PRY BAR AND SQUEEZE THE BELT BACK ON THE PULLEY.

PS I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE AND IT LOOKS LIKE I AM GETTING ANOTHER B2K. IT IS A 87
ORIGINAL OWNER CAR.THE 87 IS A COUPE TO JOIN MY 89 CONVERTIBLE
Congrats! Can't wait to see some pictures.

BTW, what injectors did you end up going wiht for your '89? Were you able to get something that would resist the ethanol, but still be close enough to stock to pass judging?
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Yep - Alternator it was. I took it down to be tested, and also found that it was the source of a faint howling sound that I had noticed. Car is back on the road and running great. :jsmile

And I can indeed confirm that you can't get the alternator pivot bolt out without moving the power steering reservoir. Remove the two bolts holding the reservoir bracket to the crossmember and you can move it far enough to get the bolt out.

And here's some friendly advice for those who may have to do this in the future (on a '91 at least) - do yourself a favor and pull those mounting bolts and move the reservoir. Before you do that, the alternator bolt will come almost all the way out, and there will be enough play that you'll think, if I just twist the alternator a little bit, it will come out. Don't do it. If you try to force it out, you might just break off one of the mouting ears on the lower alternator bracket. Then you're stuck replacing the bracket, which means you have to remove the AIR pump pulley, AIR pump, AIR pump bracket, power steering pulley, and power steering pump, just to get to that lower alternator mounting bracket, turning a 90 minute job it 6+ hours of hell.

Not that I would do that. No sir. Not me. :rmad
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

jonstr wrote: And here's some friendly advice for those who may have to do this in the future (on a '91 at least) - do yourself a favor and pull those mounting bolts and move the reservoir. Before you do that, the alternator bolt will come almost all the way out, and there will be enough play that you'll think, if I just twist the alternator a little bit, it will come out. Don't do it. If you try to force it out, you might just break off one of the mouting ears on the lower alternator bracket. Then you're stuck replacing the bracket, which means you have to remove the AIR pump pulley, AIR pump, AIR pump bracket, power steering pulley, and power steering pump, just to get to that lower alternator mounting bracket, turning a 90 minute job it 6+ hours of hell.

aw crap.... :-irked
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

jonstr wrote:Yep - Alternator it was. I took it down to be tested, and also found that it was the source of a faint howling sound that I had noticed. Car is back on the road and running great. :jsmile

And I can indeed confirm that you can't get the alternator pivot bolt out without moving the power steering reservoir. Remove the two bolts holding the reservoir bracket to the crossmember and you can move it far enough to get the bolt out.

And here's some friendly advice for those who may have to do this in the future (on a '91 at least) - do yourself a favor and pull those mounting bolts and move the reservoir. Before you do that, the alternator bolt will come almost all the way out, and there will be enough play that you'll think, if I just twist the alternator a little bit, it will come out. Don't do it. If you try to force it out, you might just break off one of the mouting ears on the lower alternator bracket. Then you're stuck replacing the bracket, which means you have to remove the AIR pump pulley, AIR pump, AIR pump bracket, power steering pulley, and power steering pump, just to get to that lower alternator mounting bracket, turning a 90 minute job it 6+ hours of hell.

:nono

The sad part of it all is that the lower alternator bolt could have been machined to be installed from the rear side of the alternator, making the swap out job the 15 minute job it should be. :rmad

I guess the GM wizards got enough feed back early on because on the '92 LT1 they provided additional clearance.

-Luigi
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
LIFTMAN
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by LIFTMAN »

JONSTR, THE INJECTORS I GOT FROM FIC ARE WORKING GREAT. JOHN AT FIC SAID THEY WILL PASS NCRS JUDGING . THEY DO LOOK ORIGINAL AND THEY WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BY THE ETHANOL IN THE GAS.
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF HAVING THE HOLLEY CARB ON MY 66 BB REBUILT BECAUSE OF ETHANOL DESTROYING THE POWER VALVE. THE REBUILDER TOLD MY TO USE A LITTLE GAS STABILIZER IN MY CARS EACH TIME I FILL UP ESPECIALLY IF THE CARS ARE NOT DRIVEN
WEEKLY
MARK
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

Good info in this thread, bump to the top.