Tough day at Turbo Ranch

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
LIFTMAN
4-PSI
4-PSI

Re: Tough day at Turbo Ranch

Post by LIFTMAN »

TO REMOVE THE ALTERNATOR WE DID REMOVE ALL 3 BOLTS. THE PS RES. WAS NOT IN THE WAY. ALL WE DID WAS TO RELEASE THE TENSION ON THE TENSIONER WITH A LONG PRY BAR, AFTER REMOVING THE BOLTS AND SLIPPED THE BELT OFF THE END OF THE PULLEY. TO REINSTALL WE JUST REVERSED THE PROCESS . PUT THE ALTERNATOR IN FIRST WITH THE BOLTS.USE THE PRY BAR AND SQUEEZE THE BELT BACK ON THE PULLEY.

PS I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE AND IT LOOKS LIKE I AM GETTING ANOTHER B2K. IT IS A 87
ORIGINAL OWNER CAR.THE 87 IS A COUPE TO JOIN MY 89 CONVERTIBLE
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

Congrats on the new car!
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Callaway Chris wrote:Congrats on the new car!
i agree! Congrats :beer
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

LIFTMAN wrote:TO REMOVE THE ALTERNATOR WE DID REMOVE ALL 3 BOLTS. THE PS RES. WAS NOT IN THE WAY. ALL WE DID WAS TO RELEASE THE TENSION ON THE TENSIONER WITH A LONG PRY BAR, AFTER REMOVING THE BOLTS AND SLIPPED THE BELT OFF THE END OF THE PULLEY. TO REINSTALL WE JUST REVERSED THE PROCESS . PUT THE ALTERNATOR IN FIRST WITH THE BOLTS.USE THE PRY BAR AND SQUEEZE THE BELT BACK ON THE PULLEY.

PS I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE AND IT LOOKS LIKE I AM GETTING ANOTHER B2K. IT IS A 87
ORIGINAL OWNER CAR.THE 87 IS A COUPE TO JOIN MY 89 CONVERTIBLE
Congrats! Can't wait to see some pictures.

BTW, what injectors did you end up going wiht for your '89? Were you able to get something that would resist the ethanol, but still be close enough to stock to pass judging?
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Yep - Alternator it was. I took it down to be tested, and also found that it was the source of a faint howling sound that I had noticed. Car is back on the road and running great. :jsmile

And I can indeed confirm that you can't get the alternator pivot bolt out without moving the power steering reservoir. Remove the two bolts holding the reservoir bracket to the crossmember and you can move it far enough to get the bolt out.

And here's some friendly advice for those who may have to do this in the future (on a '91 at least) - do yourself a favor and pull those mounting bolts and move the reservoir. Before you do that, the alternator bolt will come almost all the way out, and there will be enough play that you'll think, if I just twist the alternator a little bit, it will come out. Don't do it. If you try to force it out, you might just break off one of the mouting ears on the lower alternator bracket. Then you're stuck replacing the bracket, which means you have to remove the AIR pump pulley, AIR pump, AIR pump bracket, power steering pulley, and power steering pump, just to get to that lower alternator mounting bracket, turning a 90 minute job it 6+ hours of hell.

Not that I would do that. No sir. Not me. :rmad
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

jonstr wrote: And here's some friendly advice for those who may have to do this in the future (on a '91 at least) - do yourself a favor and pull those mounting bolts and move the reservoir. Before you do that, the alternator bolt will come almost all the way out, and there will be enough play that you'll think, if I just twist the alternator a little bit, it will come out. Don't do it. If you try to force it out, you might just break off one of the mouting ears on the lower alternator bracket. Then you're stuck replacing the bracket, which means you have to remove the AIR pump pulley, AIR pump, AIR pump bracket, power steering pulley, and power steering pump, just to get to that lower alternator mounting bracket, turning a 90 minute job it 6+ hours of hell.

aw crap.... :-irked
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

jonstr wrote:Yep - Alternator it was. I took it down to be tested, and also found that it was the source of a faint howling sound that I had noticed. Car is back on the road and running great. :jsmile

And I can indeed confirm that you can't get the alternator pivot bolt out without moving the power steering reservoir. Remove the two bolts holding the reservoir bracket to the crossmember and you can move it far enough to get the bolt out.

And here's some friendly advice for those who may have to do this in the future (on a '91 at least) - do yourself a favor and pull those mounting bolts and move the reservoir. Before you do that, the alternator bolt will come almost all the way out, and there will be enough play that you'll think, if I just twist the alternator a little bit, it will come out. Don't do it. If you try to force it out, you might just break off one of the mouting ears on the lower alternator bracket. Then you're stuck replacing the bracket, which means you have to remove the AIR pump pulley, AIR pump, AIR pump bracket, power steering pulley, and power steering pump, just to get to that lower alternator mounting bracket, turning a 90 minute job it 6+ hours of hell.

:nono

The sad part of it all is that the lower alternator bolt could have been machined to be installed from the rear side of the alternator, making the swap out job the 15 minute job it should be. :rmad

I guess the GM wizards got enough feed back early on because on the '92 LT1 they provided additional clearance.

-Luigi
:cool
http://www.tv4autos.com
1956 Ford Thunderbird tricked out!
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
LIFTMAN
4-PSI
4-PSI

Post by LIFTMAN »

JONSTR, THE INJECTORS I GOT FROM FIC ARE WORKING GREAT. JOHN AT FIC SAID THEY WILL PASS NCRS JUDGING . THEY DO LOOK ORIGINAL AND THEY WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BY THE ETHANOL IN THE GAS.
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF HAVING THE HOLLEY CARB ON MY 66 BB REBUILT BECAUSE OF ETHANOL DESTROYING THE POWER VALVE. THE REBUILDER TOLD MY TO USE A LITTLE GAS STABILIZER IN MY CARS EACH TIME I FILL UP ESPECIALLY IF THE CARS ARE NOT DRIVEN
WEEKLY
MARK
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

Good info in this thread, bump to the top.