Forum newbies.... Welcome!

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
i10fwy
11-PSI
11-PSI

Re: Forum newbies.... Welcome!

Post by i10fwy »

Do you know anyone here in the Valley that can work on a TT car? It has been sitting for years and I would like to have it gone through, new hoses, that kind of stuff.

Chris
i10fwy
87-070
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

i10fwy wrote:Do you know anyone here in the Valley that can work on a TT car? It has been sitting for years and I would like to have it gone through, new hoses, that kind of stuff.

Chris
Chris - Sent you a PM.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
Joninsc606

Post by Joninsc606 »

New member from Nashville here. Just got a 2010 SC606 Grand Sport last week. Just came out of a Z06. Absolutely loving this car. :jsmile
Luigi
15-PSI
15-PSI

Post by Luigi »

Congratulations! :beer

Pictures welcome! :bulb

-Luigi
:cool
http://www.tv4autos.com
1956 Ford Thunderbird tricked out!
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Callaway C16
sven-labil
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by sven-labil »

Hi all!
Having this forum where you can ask people that really know these cars is truely excellent, especially for me living in a country where even Corvette owners seldom seems to have heard about the Twin Turbos!

In May I bought a 36K mile 1987 Twin Turbo from Claremont Corvette in England.
Since the owner Tom Falconer seemed to have a reputation as a trustworthy enthusiast I bought the car unseen and had it shipped to Sweden.

In the advertisement it was described as "superb" and I was told that everything worked and that only normal service items had been replaced. Despite that the car turned out to have the following problems:

1) Oil leaks in and around both turbos. Drips on the outside and leaks into the intake air. (Oil in the intercoolers)
2) Oil leak between the engine and the gearbox.
3) Coolant leak between the intake manifold base and the right cylinder head.
4) Running rich. (Really rich, CO emissions > 9% way over even the UK MOT limit) A brand new looking Micro-Tech MAF seemed to exaggerate the airflow, maybe due to the non laminar airflow the 90° bend just before it causes. When replaced with Bosch from a 1987 Camaro the fuel-injection works fine.
Damaged connectors in the receptacle on the car resulted in intermittent code 33. I assume that the Micro-Tech MAF was an attempt to fix this...
The MAF relays were on the floor under the battery. The burnoff relay was full of water.
5) A relay on firewall (and its connector) was melted. It's probably used by the overdrive that amazingly worked anyway.
6) The air injection connections on the exhaust manifolds and on the main catalytic converter have been removed. (One used exhaust manifold costs $1200 in Callaway's online shop...)
7) The fuel hose from the right injector rail to the auxiliary injectors in front of the throttle body had a deep crack.

Furthermore it seems that (at least) the two right rear sparkplugs (the difficult ones) were not replaced when they serviced the car prior to delivery. The insulators were as black as the boot.

So I'll probably be asking questions here for a long time...
Ola Sjölander
1987 Callaway Twin Turbo #132
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

Wilkommen Ola,

I placed the vid about your car on youtube, when you want bigger quality format please contact me :-)
Callaway Owners Group : Division Europe
Callaway C1 project registry member
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

sven-labil wrote:
1) Oil leaks in and around both turbos. Drips on the outside and leaks into the intake air. (Oil in the intercoolers)
Regarding the oil in the intercoolers, I was told by Pete Callaway, when he had my car in his shop, that a little bit of oil in the intercoolers was normal. He initially thought that was a problem with mine also, but when he checked with the turbo experts in Old Lyme, he was told it was nothing to worry about.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
polar bear
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by polar bear »

Hi All,

Yes I'm a new member here. I put my eyes on one 1988 / B2K C-4 Corvette that is for sale. It looks intresting, interior is worn out but what You can expect from 22 y old baby? I'm fine with the price and owner told straight what is wrong with it. I should go and see it one week, and if I'm lucky to drive it away with me.

So Gentlemen, what is to check with the C-4? It's a convertible and with a Doug Nash 4+3 gearbox and about 85 t miles done.

Any advices?

Thanks

Esa
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

polar bear wrote:Hi All,

Yes I'm a new member here. I put my eyes on one 1988 / B2K C-4 Corvette that is for sale. It looks intresting, interior is worn out but what You can expect from 22 y old baby? I'm fine with the price and owner told straight what is wrong with it. I should go and see it one week, and if I'm lucky to drive it away with me.

So Gentlemen, what is to check with the C-4? It's a convertible and with a Doug Nash 4+3 gearbox and about 85 t miles done.

Any advices?

Thanks

Esa
Hi Esa,

welcome here, please give us more info on the B2K you are looking at.
It is a small world and we owners and enthusiasts know all cars and most of the cars histories.

:thumbs
polar bear
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by polar bear »

Hi Esa,

welcome here, please give us more info on the B2K you are looking at.
It is a small world and we owners and enthusiasts know all cars and most of the cars histories.

:thumbs
Hi Jeroenvgfn,

Yes You can even know it. It's 1988#23 in Stuttgart in Germany, dark blue color with saddle painted targa top. I got a copy of one Year old Dekra testing report that didn't expose any major problem at the car, just normal worn break pads and rusty break discs. It's normal that door seals and interio wear out if use car and it has done at least 85 t miles (but how much more, how to indicate it?).

So if somebody has good hints what to check all advices are wellcome.
:hi
Thanks Esa
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

Esa,

I have to dig very deep in my memory but I do not recall this one.
you can contact Callaway Germany ( Leingarten ) or call to Garage Huber ( Bonstetten , Schweiz )
maybe they got this car in maintenance.

are you sure it is a coupe ,targa ? Is the corvette on mobile.de
polar bear
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by polar bear »

Hi Jeroenvgfn,

Yes it's the same car. German says Cabrio but maybe its convertible, anyway as racers says outdoor workplace :thumb1

I have some other photos that I can mail as privat e-mail if You are keen to see.

Thanks Esa
Callaway Chris
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Callaway Chris »

polar bear wrote:

Hi Jeroenvgfn,

Yes You can even know it. It's 1988#23 in Stuttgart in Germany, dark blue color with saddle painted targa top. I got a copy of one Year old Dekra testing report that didn't expose any major problem at the car, just normal worn break pads and rusty break discs. It's normal that door seals and interio wear out if use car and it has done at least 85 t miles (but how much more, how to indicate it?).

So if somebody has good hints what to check all advices are wellcome.
:hi
Thanks Esa

Esa,

#23 should be a convertible. Car has a neat history! Check with Callaway Competition or Corvette Center in Germany for records of maintenance.

I hope this helps :beer
polar bear
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by polar bear »

Esa,

#23 should be a convertible. Car has a neat history! Check with Callaway Competition or Corvette Center in Germany for records of maintenance.

I hope this helps :beer
Hi Chris,

thanks for this information. Hopefully it's not raining a snow in Germany at next weekend that I can drive it to Finland.

Cheers

Esa
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

!!s0jgzw!20~$(KGrHqEOKj0EyLWK55U)BMj7qmcs+!~~_19.jpg
!!s0jgzw!20~$(KGrHqEOKj0EyLWK55U)BMj7qmcs+!~~_19.jpg (24.94 KiB) Viewed 12119 times
Yep , its a convertible , and a nice one too :beer :thumbs

Good Find Esa , and were you addicted by Ari and his Callaway ?
polar bear
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by polar bear »

Hi Jeroen,

no I don't know Ari but I was searching for a powerfull Corvette and this one came on mind when I saw it for sale and this car fits to my soul very well so why not. I was playing with US cars when I was kid so now the toys are more expensive (but not more powerfull) :beer

I'll send some photos when I have it.

Cheers

Esa
Jeroenvgfn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeroenvgfn »

polar bear wrote:Hi Jeroen,

no I don't know Ari but I was searching for a powerfull Corvette and this one came on mind when I saw it for sale and this car fits to my soul very well so why not. I was playing with US cars when I was kid so now the toys are more expensive (but not more powerfull) :beer

I'll send some photos when I have it.

Cheers

Esa
Do you stop by Netherlands :jsmile on your way to Finland
enjoy the trip and do not forget to create some videos

I am addicted :hi

btw Ari is to be found on the board as "heimo huima" and he is from Lappeenranta.
He is a good friend of mine.
polar bear
1-PSI
1-PSI

Post by polar bear »

Hi Jeroen,

Netherland is too far to west and I have only 14 hours to catch a ferry to Finland and about 750 km to drive. Well it's not a lot but if there is bad weather conditions so better to play safe then be sorry. Maybe next summer if have time to come and take some adrenaline :) on Autobahn.

Cheers

Esa
broadz

Post by broadz »

hi there, I'm Daniel from Australia.

I currently own a very rare Callaway C13 - 2000 HSV GTS300 VT2, one of only 100 in the country or about 130 worldwide.
It was the most expensive australian car ever made up until 3 years ago and was the world's fastest production saloon for two years until the supercharged Merc C55amg came along.

SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Very cool! Welcome to the forum Daniel. :beer