Interesting pricing comparison over the years:

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Interesting pricing comparison over the years:

Post by *89x2* »

Makes new car look like a relative bargain, right?

Performance in the 1980s and 1990s was a lot more expensive than now. We are living in the golden age, right before sunset, I think. What about you? :hi
Attachments
2021_05_06_13_18_00_book1_excel_cdc8ebeadda4c28449ad9405318ea2f3c5d73dde.png
2021_05_06_13_18_00_book1_excel_cdc8ebeadda4c28449ad9405318ea2f3c5d73dde.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: Interesting pricing comparison over the years:

Post by BIGJOHN »

I believe the Electric Cars will fail just like in the 1918s for the same reasons!
undercover
7-PSI
7-PSI

Post by undercover »

Hey BigJohn, it looks like you were responding to my post, but I don't see my post anymore! Did you see my post where I mentioned performance will continue but will switch to electric? And, I took a stab at today's market prices of 'like new' versions of each of the cars. Weird.
1987 CTTC conv #147
1987 Guldstrand/Traco Grand Sport 80 #18
Block Tester
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

I love Electric cars but we still don’t have the infrastructure to support everyone owning electric cars only.
As in the early 1900’s the problem is charging.
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

BIGJOHN wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:28 pm I love Electric cars but we still don’t have the infrastructure to support everyone owning electric cars only.

Agree on the problems of not only infrastructure, but also the (very long) time it takes to recharge completely, then travel comparatively to an ICE.

Then there is the point of EVs altogether. They do not excite me. In fact, they are soulless appliances to me. :wtf
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

*89x2* wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:25 pm
BIGJOHN wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:28 pm I love Electric cars but we still don’t have the infrastructure to support everyone owning electric cars only.

Agree on the problems of not only infrastructure, but also the (very long) time it takes to recharge completely, then travel comparatively to an ICE.

Then there is the point of EVs altogether. They do not excite me. In fact, they are soulless appliances to me. :wtf
Battery’s will only recharge so many times then need replacement.

Some of these replacement battery’s cost $25,000.00 Wholesale!
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

BIGJOHN wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:05 pm
*89x2* wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:25 pm

Battery’s will only recharge so many times then need replacement.

Some of these replacement battery’s cost $25,000.00 Wholesale!
...enter the world of disposable appliances. Sad, these soulless machines. :rmad
sven-labil
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by sven-labil »

Hm, I hope we can extrapolate from the 1967 price development in 20 years :joker

Electric car batteries seem to have a projected service life similar to what can be expected for the entire car. If a battery should fail prematurely when out of warranty (~8 years) and the entire battery needs to be replaced (as opposed to single modules or components) a used battery pack won’t be all that expensive and since battery prices continually drop a new one for an old car would probably be a lot less expensive than when the car was new.

I’m not that concerned about the battery, but the sheer amount of stuff in a modern car ought to be a problem for long term reliability. There are a lot fewer components with an electric drive train than with an internal combustion engine though. (Not to mention a hybrid.)

Regarding charging I don’t think the charging times is a problem (since I want to take pauses anyway and occasionally eat something) but I’m actually worried that the golden age for electric cars might be now. As they get more common the power grid needs to keep up and that’s handled by politicians…

I agree about the soullessness though, but I wasn’t bothered about the lack of a soul in my previous daily drivers either…
Ola Sjölander
1987 Callaway Twin Turbo #132
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

I agree that with the battery cost of replacement, these have almost become "throw away" cars.

I have to say, I did get to experience a P100d Tesla. It was amazingly fast and quiet and have some very cool high-tech features.

Would I take one? In a heartbeat, but the concern over charge times and battery replacement have me on the sidelines until they have a longer history to prove the concept.
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

Question, has anyone checked out the toxicity of off gases during battery charging??
sven-labil
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by sven-labil »

Interesting question. I thought that there wouldn’t be any gas generated (unless the battery is overheated) but apparently there is:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1149/2.0041906jes
I have just skimmed through the paper, (I’m not THAT interested ;) ) but it seems like the only toxic gas generated is carbon monoxide and that the gas generation increases with temperature.
Anyway, I would be more worried about charging my laptop since it’s on my desk and has no battery cooling system like most electric cars do. (My Nissan Leaf didn’t.)
Ola Sjölander
1987 Callaway Twin Turbo #132