Vintage 1991 B2K Video which was captured by chance

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Vintage 1991 B2K Video which was captured by chance

Post by *89x2* »

Reeves Callaway – Callaway Cars, Old Lyme, Connecticut

Callaway Corvette – 403 bhp
Base Price: 83,790 + 10% luxury tax over $30,000
Price as tested: $106,504 + $2,100 gas guzzler tax + 10% luxury tax over $30,000

POWERTRAIN:
Twin-turbocharged OHV V-8, 350 cu in (5,735 cc)
Power SAE net 403 bhp @ 4,500 rpm
Torque SAE net 575 lb. ft. @ 3,000 rpm
6-speed manual transmission

PERFORMANCE: (manufacture’s data)
0-60 mph in 4.4 sec
Standing 1/4 -mile 12.8 sec @ 113 mph
Top Speed: 185 mph
Pounds per bhp 8.5
EPA city driving 14 mpg

MY CALLAWAY CORVETTE EXPERIENCE:

In 1990, I got to ride around Charlotte Motor Speedway at top speed in the fastest Corvette on the planet, the Lingenfelter ZR-1. Here is how it happened.

I saw an ad in Stock Car Racing magazine for an opportunity to drive a NASCAR Winston Cup Car on Charlotte Motor Speedway in a program Richard Petty created called NASTRAK. NASTRAK was prior to the Richard Petty Experience program. I signed up and got to drive Charlotte Motor Speedway in one of Richard Petty’s race cars in November of 1990.

I photographed and videoed my experience, sent Richard some of my photos, and wrote an article about my experience that was published in Stock Car Racing magazine’s November 1991 issue. Richard used some of my photographs in his promotional material. Richard invited me to return to Charlotte Motor Speedway in November of 1991 to drive CMS in his race cars for free to show his appreciation.

I drove to CMS in my 1978 Silver Anniversary Corvette. Unbeknownst to me, while I would be at CMS, Automobile Magazine would also be testing the four fastest Corvettes on the market. Two of the Corvettes were the factory models LT1 and ZR-1. The other two Corvettes were aftermarket, high-performance Vettes, the Lingenfelter ZR-1, and the Callaway Twin Turbo.

Since we were all in the pits simultaneously, I met John Lingenfelter and Reeves Callaway and closely inspected their cars. Winston Cup Driver Rodney Combs also drove my ‘78 Silver Anniversary Corvette across the CMS start/finish line.

The Callaway Corvette is a modified Corvette with Callaway’s styling and engineering. It is a gorgeous car. I found it interesting how subtle changes in the Corvette stock body lines could add such a change.

At one point, I jokingly said to Reeves Callaway, “I’ll trade you even up for my Silver Anniversary Vette.” Reeves, lacking humor, replied, “I don’t deal in antiques.” Oh well! It never hurts to ask.

Enjoy the beauty of the Callaway Corvette, and please subscribe to see more upcoming, interesting car and racing videos, plus share this video with your car-loving friends. Thank you.

CALLAWAY CARS TODAY:

https://www.callawaycars.com/homepage...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callawa...

https://www.callawaycars.com

IN CAR CAMERA AROUND CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEDWAY in the LINGINFELTER CORVETTE. First is the infield road track. THE SUPERSPEEDWAY VIDEO STARTS AT THE 2:28 MINUTE MARK: https://youtu.be/bIQnAl0PZ5Q

ABOUT THIS VIDEO: Please allow for the quality of this video. Thank you! It is an amateur, hand-held 29-year-old analog tape video converted to digital. Photos were shot on film with a Nikon 6006N SLR.

3 scans of Automobile Magazine’s March 1992 issue © Automobile Magazine – Greg Jarem photographer
There was NO promotional compensation from Callaway Corvette, Chevrolet, CMS, or Automobile Magazine.

© Donovan M. Kundiger – photographer/videographer - November 15, 1991
Fresh Breeze Photography
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vintage 1991 B2K Video which was captured by chance

Post by SurfnSun »

I love that car….have the magazine, it’s a great read.
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

Surf,

The owner has a bunch of Callaways. Maybe 4 or 5. :thumbs

Anyone but you can answer this....

Does anybody know the original color of the Candy Tangerine Callaway Corvette in the article?
Dakota Aero
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Dakota Aero »

RED?
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »

Dakota Aero wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:36 pmRED?

Nope, that was yours which was red before tangerine ;)
Dakota Aero
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Dakota Aero »

Just a guess and yes you know it!

DA
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by *89x2* »