Magnuson oil level

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Magnuson oil level

Post by Rudevette »

Hello all,
I have a Maggie oil level question after watching a youtube video on the topic. I have had more than one maggie in my life and have always been of the assumption that the oil level is to the bottom of the fill plug. The guy on the youtube show said that is not correct and that there is a measured amount of oil that is below the fill plug a ways. So, what is the correct oil level?

https://youtu.be/3NFfZaS1XBU

-Justin
2007 Callaway Corvette convertible. 3LT, Z51, automatic, polished supercharger, engine covers signed by Reeves Callaway, Atomic Orange Metallic with tan top and interior.
MagicDragon
7-PSI
7-PSI

Re: Magnuson oil level

Post by MagicDragon »

Hello, inquiring minds want to know... Bueller, Bueller....Bueller
2011 Callaway Supercharged 427 Grand Sport
Callaway built C5R block, ultra lightweight forged crank, billet rods, forged pistons, Callaway cam and valvetrain, 4LT, Mag ride, severe duty RPM transmission 668 brake HP 632 torque :hi
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Guys the best way to do this is to put back in what you take out. I accomplished this with two red solo cups.

There is a kit you can buy on ebay with the syringe and oil. Might as well change the rear belt while you're at it, but that isn't much fun. Getting the new one on wasn't easy.

Here's a bunch of pics of my oil change.

EDIT: this stupid forum software puts them in the reverse order you select...so start from the bottom.
Attachments
IMG_20200919_172048.jpg
IMG_20200919_153329.jpg
IMG_20200919_163434.jpg
IMG_20200919_162345.jpg
IMG_20200919_162118.jpg
IMG_20200919_161754.jpg
IMG_20200919_161522.jpg
BIGJOHN
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by BIGJOHN »

SurfnSun wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:54 pm Guys the best way to do this is to put back in what you take out. I accomplished this with two red solo cups.

There is a kit you can buy on ebay with the syringe and oil. Might as well change the rear belt while you're at it, but that isn't much fun. Getting the new one on wasn't easy.

Here's a bunch of pics of my oil change.

EDIT: this stupid forum software puts them in the reverse order you select...so start from the bottom.
Where did y’all git them oil change cups?
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

BIGJOHN wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:23 pm
Where did y’all git them oil change cups?
Publix! :jsmile :cool
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

Great tips and photos! I looked up my notes from the first two Maggie’s that I installed and the tension on that back belt is supposed to be set to have less than .25” of measured deflection at the midpoint between the two pulleys. (For anybody following along)👍🏻 At least on a mp112 that is the spec. I think your photos show a tvs, correct?

Does anybody know how much oil the factory fill is? I checked mine before buying the car and the oil level was up to the bottom of the fill plug.

-Justin
2007 Callaway Corvette convertible. 3LT, Z51, automatic, polished supercharger, engine covers signed by Reeves Callaway, Atomic Orange Metallic with tan top and interior.
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Yes, the deflection is the same on the TVS vs the MP series.

Yes, the oil was about to the bottom of the plug, but I don’t remember exactly. :thumbs
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Here is what Pete Callaway sent me when I was going thru this procedure…

Oil is kinda like a trans, the allen plug on the back gear cover is the fill level, to the bottom of the threads, with blower sitting on the bench in its normal position. That’s also the drain. GM sells “supercharger oil” which you might need a little more than 1 bottle for (4 oz bottles?)
Wayne in CT can sell you a belt for the back. As for tension, clearly that belt has lost tension, so don’t worry about number of threads necessarily, rather than actually having tension. Basically it should be tight, if you can twist the middle of the belt say ~30º from its flat position, that’s probably about right. Important detail: once you tighten the bracket down, make sure to then back the set screw (used to tension the bracket) out a little, as the pressure on the side cover has been known to deform the aluminum and possibly create a slight leak.
If you want to get really accurate, there is a Porsche 944 timing belt tension tool which can be used, but they aren’t cheap.
Rudevette
5-PSI
5-PSI

Post by Rudevette »

Thanks!!👍🏻👍🏻 That’s pretty much how I always thought it should be regarding the oil level. Backing the set screw out after tightening the bracket is something if never have considered. But now I know.

-Justin