Anyone ever sold and shipped a car to Canada?

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Anyone ever sold and shipped a car to Canada?

Post by jonstr »

Hi All,
The buyer of my car is in Canada, and is working through the challenges of shipping and importing the car. The transport company is saying they need the sellers federal tax ID.

I've never heard of this before, but I've also never sold a car to anyone in Canada. The Tax ID = SSN, so I'm really hesitant to give this out. Does anyone know if this is normal?

I've called the transport company, but so far no call back. Searching various websites for RIV (Canada Registrar of Imported Vehicles) and US CBP (Customs and Border Protection) are inconclusive - neither really specifies what information is required.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
*89x2*
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Re: Anyone ever sold and shipped a car to Canada?

Post by *89x2* »

Never heard this before. I'd find a different company, or have the seller speak with a broker. I used Navtera for importing a car to the USA, and am sure they can help.
Dakota Aero
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by Dakota Aero »

Jonstr

You can apply for e federal id #for "banking purposes". That will keep your ssn confidential.

Go to irs.gov. Search for SS4 online application.

DA
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

I know for a fact my social has been leaked on the dark web multiple time due to data leaks from various companies. I quit worrying about it a while back. The only negative Ive ever had was someone filing unemployment under my SS during the pandemic shutdown.
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

Dakota Aero wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:42 pm Jonstr

You can apply for e federal id #for "banking purposes". That will keep your ssn confidential.

Go to irs.gov. Search for SS4 online application.

DA
Thanks DA. This is probably what I'll end up doing if they push.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less
jonstr
VIP COG Brother
VIP COG Brother

Post by jonstr »

It turns out this was a mistake. The carrier does not need a seller tax ID after all.
Later,
Jonstr
Currently Callaway-less